Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was your High School a good or bad experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was your High School a good or bad experience?

My wife just had a reunion and had a blast. Her high school experience was very good.

My sister has never and would never attend a reunion as her experience was not good. When brought up still has some pain.

Mine was very good. I think it was a very positive influence on my socially, not so much academically. It did leave some scars, but overall very good. It did not prepare me to use college as a tool to realize a career of my desire.

A mix. I had mostly great teachers and a small group of very good friends, but the social dynamics and anxieties of the larger high school experience were often painful. I do think I was pretty well prepared for college, career and citizenship. And I did choose to move back to my hometown to raise my kids there and send them to the same public schools/high school.

Comment

My problem was my parents moved around a bit around the time of my junior high and high school years, and unfortunately, they didn't really take into account my experiences in their moves. For example, I lived in one section of Brooklyn, but we moved away when I was in 6th grade and then moved back when I was in 9th, but to another section of Brooklyn not too far away -- and zoned for a different HS then where all my elementary school friends were. Why they didn't think about that minor issue is beyond me.

So anyway, I went to a HS where I didn't really know anyone and all my friends went to a rival HS. While it wasn't bad, I didn't really participate in any activities and didn't make any meaningful lasting friendships. If I had gone to the other HS with my friends, I'm positive it would have been a much better experience.

I made up for it in college where I vowed I would get the full experience, and I did.

Comment

I had pretty much a good experience in HS. I was a tweener kid. Played sports but also did choir,band and plays. So I connected to all the groups. I was lucky that when I was a Freshman my sister was a senior so for the most part I was off limits to the Hazing most Freshman got . My brother was a year younger so I got to know a lot of people from that class through him.

I go to most reunions and we have a pretty hard core group of people that do the same and have always enjoyed them. Stay in touch with a lot of classmates through FB.

Comment

Yeah, for the most part pretty positive. I didn't stay in touch with anyone tho, beyond a couple of years after & never had an interest in reunions. FWIW, my wife also describes her high school experience as awful tho.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I have a twin brother, and had a core of neighborhood kids who went to the public high school (we went to the regional Catholic school). so I already had a firm base of social support and didn't actually need more from high school.

but I figured out how to navigate the murky waters. I remember as a freshman, I was the class clown in a laid-back 5th period English class every day - and then a church mouse, like the rest, in my 6th-period Social Studies class. I was comfortable with that. had plenty of HS friends.

there's an old saying about how if you look across the poker table looking for the sucker, and don't see one - then the sucker is you.

HS seemed brutally like that - if you don't see who are the other kids who are going to be bullied, you will be one. I just avoided the field of battle, and escaped unscathed.

have I ever been to a reunion? no. got my honorable discharge and moved on.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Other than the whole cancer thing taking up half of freshman and half of sophomore year, it was pretty good. I still have my core group of friends and I enjoyed my 10 year reunion.

Comment

I met my current best friend at high school orientation and had a fucking blast in high school. Still close friends with a bunch of my high school buddies since 40 of us went to UC Berkeley together
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I loathed the Catholic all-boys school itself, but I had a lot of fun and still keep in contact with my main group of friends. And the preparation helped me get into an "elite" university.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I went to a different school every year from 5th through 10th grade. Did do the same school from 10th through 12th though. I have no idea what a good experience would be. I fit into the orbit of most groups but wasn't a big part of any of them. I was also small up until 11th grade. Even then I was still lithe (hard to imagine now). So I wasn't an athlete or anything. I wouldn't say it was good, I spent most of my time jyst trying to fit in and get along with poor to moderate results. In a lot of ways in still that kid.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Interesting question!

High School was for lack of a better term - awkward. While I was a leader in the areas that I participated in, I honestly never felt comfortable in my own skin. I also never had to study in classes. Honestly, I hardly ever did homework and if it wasnt for one bad class would have graduated with honors. I never learned to "study" or read the text, which made the rest of my schooling frankly unsuccessful.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                      X