Do you visit your old college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you visit your old college?

It seems every fall I get an opportunity to drive through my old college town of Whitewater Wisconsin. I drive around the campus rarely stopping. Depending on timing I will stop for lunch, but usually it is just about a 15 minute diversion from someplace else I was headed to or coming from.

I have fond memories of it.

I will be meeting a client for lunch. We will be about 30 miles from the campus. If time allows I will most likely make the drive on the way home late this afternoon.

Do you still visit your old college?

Usually once every 2 years, sometimes 3. I was in Ann Arbor about a month ago for a football game and to catch up with my old roommate. Had last gone in 2016. It's a flight so it's not the most convenient. But I am looking forward to bringing my oldest for a game in a few years. He's only 5, so I'm not sure he would make it through a full game just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      It seems every fall I get an opportunity to drive through my old college town of Whitewater Wisconsin.?
      I thought you were talking about a real university, something that resembled higher learning. And then I saw Whitewater.

Love,

UWSP grad.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Given how close I live and work to where I went to college (Columbia), I should presumably go more often than I do, but I don't have any friends or family in attendance and have never really been the type to attend too many alumni events, so I've probably only been up there once every few years or so over the course of the last decade. My wife attended UW Madison and it was definitely important for her to take me on a visit there to show me what she loved about Madison and why, but since our one visit back in 2007 we haven't otherwise been back.

Comment

I am going tomorrow for the football game ! I only live about 5 miles from the University of Washington campus, but I don't go very often. Maybe once a year or less I'll walk around campus and I usually go to 2 or 3 football games.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I thought you were talking about a real university, something that resembled higher learning. And then I saw Whitewater.

Love,

UWSP grad.
            When I went there back in the day UWW was in the top 10 business schools in the country. I am pretty sure I single handedly dropped them out of it.

Do you ever go back?

Comment

Live in UT but graduated from Old Dominion in VA so I hardly ever go back. Have in-laws near the school so if we go to visit I will run by and pick up a t-shirt or something (2016 Bahamas Bowl champs!!!). Last time I was there was 2 years ago but the place is huge compared to when I graduated in '85.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                When I went there back in the day UWW was in the top 10 business schools in the country. I am pretty sure I single handedly dropped them out of it.

Do you ever go back?
                Yeah, I'm back at Point almost every year. It'll be more frequently soon, as I'll be on one of the foundation boards later this year or early next.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The University of Illinois is about a two-hour drive (one way) from my hometown, and it's completely out of the way of any destination I would go to, so there's never time for a side trip when I go back there. I stopped in about ten years ago, just to show my kids where I went to school. The campus looked pretty much the same, but all the local landmarks I remembered fondly were long gone. I don't know if/when I'll ever go back. As with the rest of Illinois, I just don't feel a connection anymore.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I graduated from Bowling Green - went back once after I graduated but not since (1980). I live 2 hours away. I follow Ohio State college but it was just 2 big to attend .

Comment

I went to Washington U in St. Louis. I live in AZ now, and my only return visit was when our fantasy baseball league held our auction there in 2013 (we all graduated in 98-00). It was interesting because most of our dorms had been replaced so there was this disorientation to the entire experience, standing in a spot you remember yet the surroundings being completely transformed. Amazingly beautiful campus though.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I went to school in Newark and on my last day of school my car was broken into, so no thanks! Leave on a high note!

Comment

My son has vision therapy at UC Berkeley, one of only two institutions in the US that offer what he needs, so I'm on campus fairly often
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I'm only about 15 minutes away from UCLA but I don't normally have a reason to go on campus - the football stadium is nowhere close. I did take my wife on a tour a while back and I've had some jobs on campus but it's probably been a few years since I actually set foot there. Every time I drive near it I'm tempted to just meander but who wants to see some 38-year-old wandering aimlessly on a college campus?

Comment

I have never been back to my high school since Graduation Day, even though I live only about an hour away.
                              I haven't been back to my college in years, even though it is a little closer.

I enjoyed 4 years at both places and have fond memories of good friends.

but for me, once it's over, it's over. was the same with old girlfriends after breakups. what's done is done, time to move on.

I've never been on Facebook, either, which seems to be a parallel scenario.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X