Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you spend a Wednesday in Tuscon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you spend a Wednesday in Tuscon?

Next spring Judith and I are taking a land cruise. We'll ride an Amtrak sleeper for about 1500 miles to Tuscon, spend a day and come back. The train station is downtown, about 1/2 mile from AU campus. This will be a Wednesday while school is in session.

It's still more than six months away, but I'm looking for ideas. Other than catch a museum and try some New-Mex food I have no ideas.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-21-2018, 01:05 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Tucson is about the outdoors.

Desert Museum
    Saguaro National Park (via Gates Pass)
    Many other great hikes: https://www.visittucson.org/10-great-tucson-area-hikes
    Foodies, cyclists and the aesthetically inclined will find much to like in this desert city, home to a new bike-share system, adobe architecture and restaurants that reflect a mix of cultural influences.

If you like space, there is Kitt Peak (45 mins south) and also the UA planetarium.
    4th Avenue for shopping/drinking (take the streetcar to/from downtown)

Not sure what new-Mex is but there is plenty of good Mexican food.

Sonoran hot dogs at Guero Canelo
    Tacos Apson probably my favorite but it's not much on ambience
    Guadalajara Grill
    Mi Nidito is where Bill Clinton ate when he visited
    Cafe Poca Cosa
    El Minuto Cafe has great margaritas
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Drunk and ashamed.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

writing T U C S O N on a blackboard 100 times
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Most people don't know that the proper pronunciation is Tuke-son, they assume (or have been incorrectly taught) it's a silent C.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            writing T U C S O N on a blackboard 100 times
            I didn't even notice he misspelled it, oy.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

I would highly recommend the Sonoran Desert Museum (first on DMT's list) if you can make it out there.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Most people don't know that the proper pronunciation is Tuke-son, they assume (or have been incorrectly taught) it's a silent C.
                that could be its own thread. states pronounced differently by locals than tourists:
                ORE-i-gin
                NEVAHHHHDA
                ELL-inois
                NEW YAWK

then of course there are the cities of Nawlins and Balmer, home of the NFL's Saints and Ravens
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  I would highly recommend the Sonoran Desert Museum (first on DMT's list) if you can make it out there.
                  That's a possibility. We will be on foot or in a cab, so a lot of driving is out.

@JJ There is the ArKansas river.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

When I first read this post, I thought why would anyone make Tucson a destination? I googled it and was quite surprised to read about it.

Since you asked what would you do; I would make sure I went to the Desert Museum. This was an easy one for me. It was affirmed by DMT in the first post. I hope to get there someday.

Whatever you choose I hope you have a great time.

Comment

Hmmm, not having a car will make things difficult since Tucson is so spread out. Used to spend every Christmas there growing up (it's where all my relatives live) - and the only sites I remember fondly are the previously mentioned Desert Museum as well as Old Tucson which is a theme park as well as the location for a bunch of movies (most notably Tombstone). It's not exactly in the city though so you would definitely have to take a taxi to get there. Then again, I haven't been there since I was like 12 so hard to say whether it would be fun as an adult

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                        Hmmm, not having a car will make things difficult since Tucson is so spread out. Used to spend every Christmas there growing up (it's where all my relatives live) - and the only sites I remember fondly are the previously mentioned Desert Museum as well as Old Tucson which is a theme park as well as the location for a bunch of movies (most notably Tombstone). It's not exactly in the city though so you would definitely have to take a taxi to get there. Then again, I haven't been there since I was like 12 so hard to say whether it would be fun as an adult
                        Uber/Lyft will take the place of a car . I used it in Boston and it was great. Less expensive then Taxi.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                          Uber/Lyft will take the place of a car . I used it in Boston and it was great. Less expensive then Taxi.
                          Even Lyft will be pricier than renting a car. Public transport is sorely lacking and Tucson is very spread out. It's actually nearly as many square miles as Chicago (not including suburbs obv). I'd definitely rent a car unless you hate driving.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            Old Tucson is fun with kids but with just one day and no kids I didn't list it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                            X