The Next James Bond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next James Bond?

Rumors are flying that the next Bond is Idris Elba! As a Bond fan since I was age 7 — my friend and I would rent old Bond flicks when we were 13-15 — I think this would be awesome.

If untrue, I would go for Henry Cavill as next up.

Cavill was born to play Bond ... but maybe they want to do something different? Daniel Craig was a diversion from the norm with more of a serious muscular post-Bourne style of action thriller ... Cavill looks like he'd be more of a traditional Bond.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Cavill was born to play Bond ... but maybe they want to do something different? Daniel Craig was a diversion from the norm with more of a serious muscular post-Bourne style of action thriller ... Cavill looks like he'd be more of a traditional Bond.
      Totally agree, if they want to go conventional, it would be Cavill. And now he's supposedly doing his own stunts, a la Tom Cruise.

But I believe they want to go unconventional. I know they were looking at a black Bond before signing Craig, and I think they got cold feet. But Elba would make a great Bond, and I don't care about his race.

And honestly, anyone saying "but Bond is white!" is pretty ignorant. Yeah, Fleming wrote him that way, but this was the 1950s, when no one would even fathom a black actor even in a minor role. So anyone opposed, get over it. He was written that way because ALL characters were written that way.

Comment

Either of them would be cool. I never liked Craig and still dont.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

But what is the reason to have an African American (or any other race than white) play Bond?
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            But what is the reason to have an African American (or any other race than white) play Bond?
            Because it's fun and interesting to tweak a formula/franchise, and why not? It's not a situation where there aren't enough roles in Hollywood for white males, lol.

Comment

Because he's a great actor.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

For a hint of how Cavil might play Bond, check out "The Man from UNCLE". My guess is that Cavil will take a more "Pierce Brosnan" approach vs the Daniel Craig physicality based personna

all that being said, 100% fine with Idris Alba
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I'd love to see Elba in the role. Hell, having new personalities and acting styles in the James Bond role is part of the lore. There's a whole conversation about what Bond was better. That's sorta the point, right?

It is interesting to see the Elba/Bond conversation juxtaposed with the current outrage over Jack Whitehall's role as a gay character though.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    Because it's fun and interesting to tweak a formula/franchise, and why not? It's not a situation where there aren't enough roles in Hollywood for white males, lol.
                    I can see that for some people.

Your statement about enough roles for white actors seems a bit "affirmative actiony" (made up word).

For reference, I didn't like when the show 'Elementary' made Watson a female, but was fine that "M" became female. Maybe that's because "M" is a position and not an individual. I'm just weird!!"
                    Last edited by Mithrandir; 08-14-2018, 11:36 AM.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The bigger question is what reason is there *not* to have a specific race play a character? Why does his race even matter?

Comment

I can see that for some people.

Your statement about enough roles for white actors seems a bit "affirmative actiony" (made up word).

For reference, I didn't like when the show 'Elementary' made Watson a female, but was fine that "M" became female. I'm just weird!!
                        I've never viewed "affirmative action" as a bad thing, so even if that were part of the motivation (which I doubt - they want to make $$$), it wouldn't be a problem for me.

Comment

My daughter is holding out for an all-white revival of "Hamilton - An American Musical". Werk!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            The bigger question is what reason is there *not* to have a specific race play a character? Why does his race even matter?
                            Could Black Panther be played by a white guy? Should all movie characters be interchangeable when it comes to race and gender?

Comment

Could Black Panther be played by a white guy? Should all movie characters be interchangeable when it comes to race and gender?
                              No, Black Panther's entire story line clearly requires the character to be an African king trying to keep out would-be colonizers. Not so James Bond, an MI-6 licensed-to-kill agent with the British government.

Comment

Working...
                              X