Capital Gazette Newspaper Shooting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital Gazette Newspaper Shooting...

5 dead so far, suspect in custody and supposedly not cooperating. Apparently a shotgun was used in the killings, no motive at this point...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Outstanding response time, being reported as within 60 seconds on site of shooter, who surrendered without exchanging gunfire with LEO. I am pretty sure it takes me longer than 60 seconds to get to my own mailbox.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
      Outstanding response time, being reported as within 60 seconds on site of shooter, who surrendered without exchanging gunfire with LEO. I am pretty sure it takes me longer than 60 seconds to get to my own mailbox.
      Yeah, if that is true, that is amazing. Must have been right in the area.

Comment

this is from an Annapolis reporter from that newsroom:

@chaseacook
        2h2 hours ago

I can tell you this: We are putting out a damn paper tomorrow.
        514 replies 7,636 retweets 23,758 likes

(yes, half the damn staff is dead - what of it? probably seems unbelievable if you're from outside the business. in what other industry would people finish their shifts and work OT? yet it is no surprise to tens of thousands of current and former journalists. nothing stops the product from getting out - even these days - every damn day.)
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          this is from an Annapolis reporter from that newsroom:

@chaseacook
          2h2 hours ago

I can tell you this: We are putting out a damn paper tomorrow.
          514 replies 7,636 retweets 23,758 likes

(yes, half the damn staff is dead - what of it? probably seems unbelievable if you're from outside the business. in what other industry would people finish their shifts and work OT? yet it is no surprise to tens of thousands of current and former journalists. nothing stops the product from getting out - even these days - every damn day.)
          You speak the truth...

And perhaps it's time our President STOPPED calling the press lairs and the enemy. Maybe just settle down and let things get a little more civil?
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            You speak the truth...

And perhaps it's time our President STOPPED calling the press lairs and the enemy. Maybe just settle down and let things get a little more civil?
            A couple of days before the shooting, Milo Yiannopolous was quoted by 2 reporters as saying "I look forward to the day when the press are gunned down on sight."

I wonder why this guy took a dispute from 2012, then 2015, and he let all that rage simmer, all those years... all those years of hearing the President degrade the press as "liars with no sources, they make it up, they're the enemy of the people", etc... I don't think it's as direct as the "baby parts" killer, as far as rhetoric directly influencing a shooting, but it should be a wake-up call that this type of language, spoken by extremists like Milo, or in a less extreme tone by the POTUS, is actually provably dangerous. He needs to get neutered in November.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Yes, his constant attacks on the press have always been dangerous and highly disturbing. It is the stuff of authoritarian regimes.

It doesn't seem this shooter was primarily or directly inspired by Trump, but regardless, his denigrating the press, the FBI, anyone who crosses him is highly dangerous.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-29-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X