Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Name Is Still Worthy of a Monument?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Name Is Still Worthy of a Monument?

So locally there is discussion of changing the name of schools named after a few rather important people in American history.

Currently, James Monroe and Patrick Henry are the two people in question. Minneapolis recently renamed Lake Calhoun because Calhoun was a slave owner, as were Monroe and Henry.

What makes Washington an Jefferson, at this point, worthy, but not these three others?
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Name it B-Fly High and he will bestride it like a colossus.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

:dropsmic:
      fixed.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        So locally there is discussion of changing the name of schools named after a few rather important people in American history.

Currently, James Monroe and Patrick Henry are the two people in question. Minneapolis recently renamed Lake Calhoun because Calhoun was a slave owner, as were Monroe and Henry.

What makes Washington an Jefferson, at this point, worthy, but not these three others?
        I eagerly await the day that we are renaming Washington DC and Washington state.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          LOL. That's what I get for being off line for three days.

I think pulling the names of former presidents and founding fathers from monuments is a waste of time and effort better devoted to other things. What's more important is how the history is being taught. If you're not teaching the failures and missed opportunities and even the moral hypocrisy of early American leaders, rather than just presenting their positive writings and accomplishments, then you're doing a disservice to history and education.

Comment

I don't put Calhoun in the same boat with Monroe and Patrick Henry.

Calhoun was an ardent proponent of slavery at a time our country was about to be plunged into war. He believed in the moral rightness of slavery and the inherent inferiority of the black race.

Monroe and Henry held slaves, as did virtually all men of means in their day. Their writings make clear, however, their deep misgivings about the institution of slavery and whether it could be rationalized within the concepts of morality and humanity.

A similar analysis applies to Washington and Jefferson, along with the added factor that they (like Monroe and unlike Calhoun) were U.S. Presidents.

In short, Calhoun is not reviled in some quarters simply because he was a slave owner, but because he was a cruel and racist individual who was virulently in favor of maintaining the slavery system, no matter the cost in American lives.

Now, whether being a slave owner disqualifies someone per se is a separate question for debate, but it is a simple task to sort out Calhoun from the remainder of the group. He is the clear outlier based upon his words and deeds which went beyond his status as a slave owner.
            Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM. Reason: "which went beyond his status as a slave owner."
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I was going to post a Sesame Street "One of these is not like the other" song video, but Redbirds Fan summed it up far better.

So, ITC, are these ideas coming from the Edina school district, per chance?
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

No one gets a monument.

All fall short.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I was going to post a Sesame Street "One of these is not like the other" song video, but Redbirds Fan summed it up far better.

So, ITC, are these ideas coming from the Edina school district, per chance?
                  If I may be so bold as to answer for ITC...

South Minneapolis is a bastion of Rain Barrell liberals, wringing their hands over the latest (or oldest) perceived injustice. So these fine people decided that the name of the lake MUST be changed, and after much wrangling through the Park Board, County Commissioners, even the DNR, they got the name changed to Lake Bde Maka Ska...rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it? Of course, they seem to have forgotten about Calhoun Boulevard, Calhoun Beach Club, Calhoun Tower...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

South Minneapolis is a bastion of Rain Barrell liberals, wringing their hands over the latest (or oldest) perceived injustice. So these fine people decided that the name of the lake MUST be changed, and after much wrangling through the Park Board, County Commissioners, even the DNR, they got the name changed to Lake Bde Maka Ska...rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it? Of course, they seem to have forgotten about Calhoun Boulevard, Calhoun Beach Club, Calhoun Tower...
                    Yeah, this would sum it up for me. The other two are from the two largest public school districts in our state.

Originally posted by Gregg
                    No one gets a monument.

All fall short.
                    Totally agree, but not reality, so we have to deal with where the world is at in this kerfuffle.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                      Yeah, this would sum it up for me. The other two are from the two largest public school districts in our state.

Totally agree, but not reality, so we have to deal with where the world is at in this kerfuffle.
                      Ok then, the lesser of evils...wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

Dude, I don't know if you are being fake sarcastic or for real, but slavery (and the beating of slaves) was a real injustice, not a "perceived" one.

Debate if we will whether any slave owner should have a monument, but enough of this false equivalency between rat bastards like Calhoun/heroes of the Confederacy on the one hand and Washingon/Jefferson/etc. on the other.
                        Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 05-22-2018, 08:22 AM.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I think I should get a statue outside of the library where I work!!
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                            Dude, I don't know if you are being fake sarcastic or for real, but slavery (and the beating of slaves) was a real injustice, not a "perceived" one.

Debate if we will whether any slave owner should have a monument, but enough of this false equivalency between rat bastards like Calhoun/heroes of the Confederacy on the one hand and Washingon/Jefferson/etc. on the other.
                            Of course slavery was and is an injustice, it's still rampant world wide...what I was referring to, and didn't make myself clear, was the "injustice" of having to change the name of the lake, but ignoring everything else that was named after Calhoun. My apologies for lack of clarity...
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                            X