Douglas High School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    except the NIH projects have no funding and are dormant - http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...search-program
    Then your protest should be with how the NIH is funded. It's exactly the kind of scope creep the CDC should avoid, and stay focused on the target of contagious disease control.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

So what do you tell folks who insist that this is first and foremost a mental health problem? That the issue isnt with the guns? I know plenty of people, many of whom are police, that feel this way.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        So what do you tell folks who insist that this is first and foremost a mental health problem? That the issue isnt with the guns? I know plenty of people, many of whom are police, that feel this way.
        I say that our society should invest in and support mental health care and programs and should enact stricter gun control. The issues are hardly mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
          I live in Boca Raton, wife is a teacher. We are a town over from Parkland. Sickening, frightening, too close to home. But we are so inured to such madness, we plod on with our political leaders, deep in pocket of NRA, repeating mantra "our thoughts and prayers go out to victims and families", like cows chewing cud, mindlessly moving mouth like latin repeated at a service that no one thinks about. If Sandy Hook couldnt break through the cloud then what in the world could?
          Yes, terrible. I just learned this morning that my cousin's niece, Meadow Pollack, was one of the children slaughtered at Douglas High School.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            Yes, terrible. I just learned this morning that my cousin's niece, Meadow Pollack, was one of the children slaughtered at Douglas High School.
            whoa ... so sorry to hear that
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I say that our society should invest in and support mental health care and programs and should enact stricter gun control. The issues are hardly mutually exclusive.
              Exactly. Anyone trying to position this as something that can be addressed by one thing is probably trying to position the issue in a certain light ; all options should be on the table.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                Why mention this? I think even if we got to that point, system still wouldnt be broken enough to have open talk leading to sensible gun laws. Why in the world is it a good idea that this 19 year old with troubled past, with ties to white supremacy group and facebook postings of him posing with his guns and stating he aspires to be a school shooter, have access to a military style long gun?
                isn't the standard answer that this is price to be paid for keeping a well armed populace ready to overthrow a corrupt or fascist leader should one ever occupy the white house?

Comment

Agreed. But to many people, they are.

We should always keep trying to work towards the goals that you mentioned.

I hate to admit it, but the proverbial cat is not only out of the bag, as far as mass shootings go, that cat has left the fucking house never to come back. Mass shooting will be the norm. They aint going away because the reasons they happen are too complex to fix.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Agreed. But to many people, they are.

We should always keep trying to work towards the goals that you mentioned.

I hate to admit it, but the proverbial cat is not only out of the bag, as far as mass shootings go, that cat has left the fucking house never to come back. Mass shooting will be the norm. They aint going away because the reasons they happen are too complex to fix.
                    It can't be that complex since many other countries don't seem to have the problem that the us does. I don't think the issue is complexity
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      It can't be that complex since many other countries don't seem to have the problem that the us does. I don't think the issue is complexity
                      Agreed. While we certainly can't expect to end all mass shootings full stop, I think we could very easily reduce the incidence and the magnitude of such events with a handful of pretty simple measures.

Comment

Agreed. While we certainly can't expect to end all mass shootings full stop, I think we could very easily reduce the incidence and the magnitude of such events with a handful of pretty simple measures.
                        So why aren't those simple measures getting done? That is part of the complexity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          So why don't those countries have the problem? Maybe because they aren't as inherently complex as the US?

Comment

So why aren't those simple measures getting done? That is part of the complexity.
                            Fair comment. It's a mix of things, including the single-issue passion on the pro-gun side, bolstered by the organization and access of the NRA, thusfar outweighing the majority who would support, say, a ban of AR-15's or similar semi-automatic assault rifles, but who are not as single-issue focused and well-organized. We also have the 2nd Amendment and the risk that even where the legislature can agree on a measure there's a risk of it being challenged and struck down. It also seems that the nature of suburbia, with our cars and schools surrounded by parking lots and fields rather than other buildings and heavy pedestrian traffic, our office parks and malls, etc, makes it easier for someone to plan and execute a surprise assault without being detected until the bullets start flying. All of those factors contribute to me saying that we can't expect to end all mass shootings full stop. But I think limiting civilian semi-automatic assault rifle ownership/use to licensed gun ranges where the guns must be left under lock and key except when being used at the facility, should be achievable with the right movement support.

Comment

Fair comment. It's a mix of things, including the single-issue passion on the pro-gun side, bolstered by the organization and access of the NRA, thusfar outweighing the majority who would support, say, a ban of AR-15's or similar semi-automatic assault rifles, but who are not as single-issue focused and well-organized. We also have the 2nd Amendment and the risk that even where the legislature can agree on a measure there's a risk of it being challenged and struck down. It also seems that the nature of suburbia, with our cars and schools surrounded by parking lots and fields rather than other buildings and heavy pedestrian traffic, our office parks and malls, etc, makes it easier for someone to plan and execute a surprise assault without being detected until the bullets start flying. All of those factors contribute to me saying that we can't expect to end all mass shootings full stop. But I think limiting civilian semi-automatic assault rifle ownership/use to licensed gun ranges where the guns must be left under lock and key except when being used at the facility, should be achievable with the right movement support.
                              Again, i agree with all of that. I'm just not as optimistic as you when it comes to getting things accomplished that will lessen the chances of mass shootings.

Comment

Again, i agree with all of that. I'm just not as optimistic as you when it comes to getting things accomplished that will lessen the chances of mass shootings.
                                Today's editorial in the Murdoch-owned, Trump-supporting NY Post gives me hope that it's possible, for the reasons described here:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00bc49f428404

Comment

Working...
                                X