No announcement yet.

Tom Petty Song Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gregg, tell me why you want to lay there, revel in your abandon?
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
      I'll take it the pop route:

The correct answer was: I won't back down.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        The correct answer was: I won't back down.
        Not in this particular scenario because I was backing down. I figured it was time to move on, time to get going.

Comment

Keep moving on.
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

None of my top 5 songs picked thus far (surprise)
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Those are John Cougar Mellencamp songs.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Petty draft, not Geddy draft....
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  I can see a case for that one specifically because Petty played it live with the Heartbreakers. Tweeter and the Monkey Man, not so much.
                  Heh. Not trying to be a noodge, but I happened across this in my YouTube travels today, and I couldn't resist posting it:

That inspired me to dig a bit, and supposedly Petty & Dylan co-wrote Tweeter And The Monkey Man as a rib on the New Jersey street characters featured in various Bruce Springsteen songs. Who knew?
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

That's funny -- and it definitely sounds like a Springsteen parody in spots.

Comment

Petty’s family announced today that he died of a drug overdose. Sorry fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Petty’s family announced today that he died of a drug overdose. Sorry fellas.
                        Yea, accidental after he'd played 53 dates with a fractured hip. Ugh
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

the road is a grind and the show must go on......
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

oh, and I'm quite ready to make my 2 picks if Gregg would pick, when do we skip him and let him make 2?

Comment

I was about to flip the fucking spread if Gregg took "You Don't Know How It Feels" as my 2 picks were it, and "Here Comes My Girl" about 6 picks ago. Snaked and Jinked, it could have almost been a Tom Petty song...

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                Sadly, since I don't think I have ever participated in one of these drafts, I don't know how it feels to be you.
                                dude, I thought you had fully jinked me here.....

Comment

Working...
                                X