No announcement yet.

Tom Petty Song Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately for Sheep, there are more tracks on Wildflowers than there are rounds in this draft.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Unfortunately for Sheep, there are more tracks on Wildflowers than there are rounds in this draft.
      There's still one Wildflowers track left that the band liked enough to play live, but I didn't want to be greedy.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• If after the last pick we post songs we would have drafted had there been more than 12 rounds, I expect to see all remaining songs from Wildflowers on your list. And maybe an outtake or two.

Comment

• Album breakdown:

Wildflowers 12
          Damn the Torpedoes 8
          Full Moon Fever 7
          Long After Dark 6
          Into the Great Wide Open 6
          Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 5
          You're Gonna Get It! 5
          Hard Promises 5
          She’s the One soundtrack 3
          Mojo 3
          Southern Accents 2
          Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) 2
          Mudcrutch 2
          Hypnotic Eye 2
          Echo 1
          Highway Companion 1
          The Last DJ 1
          Other 13
          Last edited by Erik; 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• I find it funny that they bothered to bring Ringo Starr in to drum on this track, since I probably could have programmed the simplistic beat in less time than it took for Ringo to be driven from his hotel to the studio... S. Sheep.

It is way more fun to play with Ringo Starr than a machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
              If after the last pick we post songs we would have drafted had there been more than 12 rounds, I expect to see all remaining songs from Wildflowers on your list. And maybe an outtake or two.
              Nope, I'm done with it. My next three picks would have been a Long After Dark outtake, a Long After Dark album track, and one from Into The Great Wide Open.

I kept going to Echo, because I've always liked the sound of that record, but I couldn't settle on a stand-out track. Plus, with all the Wildflowers picks, my album was already depressing enough.

As a fan, I have to admit I checked out after The Last DJ and Highway Companion . They weren't bad, but I didn't like the bitter vibe of the former, and the latter seemed lackadaisical and a bit too familiar to me. On further review, my opinion of those two records hasn't changed much.

I'm glad for the opportunity to dig into the Mudcrutch records and Hypnotic Eye a bit. They all could grow on me with a few more listens, I think. Mojo might warrant some more exploration, too.

Thanks, everybody, that was fun!
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I definitely think Mudcrutch gave a spark to Petty's career. Wildflowers was his last outstanding effort before then. She's the One is eh except for a few standouts, Echo is very interesting thematically but less interesting musically, The Last DJ is mostly simplistic and bitter (and is the record with the most bad songs on it in his career) and Highway Companion is pleasant but not distinctive. By contrast, Mudcrutch, Mojo, Hypnotic Eye and Mudcrutch 2 are energetic and vital despite occasional missteps. All take major detours from the sound that was expected of him for his entire career. Petty changed things up by getting the Mudcrutch guys back together and seemed to be more committed to his material from that point on.

Comment

• AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHh...DMT grabs my last pick!!

Comment

• I'm just as bad with Wildflowers picks....I think I have 5....
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHh...DMT grabs my last pick!!
                      Almost made it through without a single argh, thanks!
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• And that's a wrap for me, with "Something in the Air", the live version of course.

With the exception of selecting "You Come Through" (going 85 mph* on the Interstate) and "Fault Lines" (slightly drunk), I'm very happy with the songs I wound up with. I'm especially happy to have "I Need To Know", "Love Is A Long Road", and "Ways To Be Wicked".

I was probably the least knowledgeable Petty fan in the draft, and I will say that my appreciation for him (and especially the band) has risen a minimum of 80%. As songwriters, he and his cohort are as good as it gets, and these guys can play some serious rock and roll. I can take or leave the acoustica, but I would put the electric band up against any outfit of the era. And they could obviously play just about anything they wanted to play.

RIP.

* (137 kph)
                        Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 01-26-2018, 10:48 PM.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• and of course Gregg snakes my last pick....
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• You can thank DMT for that as he snaked my last pick.

Comment

• Rebels from Southern Accents is one of my favorite Petty tines. Really surprised it went unstated. Going to make some ones team as a spring training non roster invite for sure

Comment

• The answers to my trivia questions from many pages back:

Live Aid setlist: American Girl, The Waiting, Rebels, Refugee
                                Super Bowl setlist: American Girl, I Won’t Back Down, Free Fallin’, Runnin’ Down a Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X