No announcement yet.

So I've been given the shaft in work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The greatest long-term predictor of success for individuals and organizations is resilience in the face of adversity. Individuals and organizations who view their setbacks in the context of progress are much more likely to continue in their efforts toward success".-Michael Gelb Thinking for a Change

Comment

Great quote, Gregg Guest!

My story:

I got double-crossed a decade ago in unfathomable fashion. Was lied to for months, then offered a lesser change of roles than had been promised - with deliberate timing to make it difficult for me to latch onto the same rung on the ladder elsewhere at that time. This at a place where I'd worked for more than 15 years.

Art of war, my friend, art of war.

My strategy had to be a bit different for a variety of reasons, but the methodical nature of the way forward is the same.

I talked my way into a new department, things clicked from day one, and soon enough the double-crosser - who was new to the company - was wincing while sitting in meetings with peers raving about my performance. At that point, he asked subordinates why they had let him make such a terrible mistake. They reminded this guy that he had ignored their advice.

Double-crosser was exposed soon enough, in part because the peers questioned his sanity in trying to torpedo my career. And then he was ****canned - and has been out of the business ever since. Meanwhile I've far surpassed any career goals I ever had, and continue to do so. And to Gregg's quote, my strategy in those days is what started the whole thing.

I never raised my voice at all. Never even mentioned what had really gone down with anyone at work for 5 or 6 years, at least.

I'm a really nice guy, I swear. Everyone says so.

But don't f*ck with the Irish. Not even the nice ones.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        "The greatest long-term predictor of success for individuals and organizations is resilience in the face of adversity. Individuals and organizations who view their setbacks in the context of progress are much more likely to continue in their efforts toward success".-Michael Gelb Thinking for a Change
        Thanks. Like that a lot.

Comment

Tho not screwed by my Company - not really screwed over by a coworker - I was tossed a major curve about 3 years ago. When the economy took a dump we restructured our work hours putting every job up for a rebid. Everyone (me included) thought amongst all the workers at my position that I would get a certain slot (based on seniority) which fit perfect for my life at that time.

The person right above me took that slot - Forcing me to make drastic changes in my life - not to mention at work. I was not happy with him pleaded with him ( did everything but offer him money ) to take a long look at the changes it would be for him too. Choice was made by him because he thought it would give him more power.

Now 3 years later - everything for me is great as I am doing a lot of different things then before ( which I find interesting/challenging )that I never foresaw & would never go back to my old job.

On the other hand - the guy who took my job - is now begging for me to switch. After I refused he went to the big boss & tried to get him to do it(because everything I told him would change for him came true) His answer is I am to valuable in my current position to make the switch. Very Sweet

Moral of story ( As everyone has said) No knee jerk reaction/ outburst - slow thoughtful planning works. It is just another crossroad that forms our life.

Comment

The arrival of the weekend and a very, very good night's sleep on Friday saw the mists clear and the anger channelled into action.

Had a meeting on Saturday with somebody who advises me on such matters. It went very well and gave me a number of ideas. Spent Sunday evening formulating a plan which would take effect first thing on Monday morning.

The plan has a number of stages, all of which are underway. In the past two days between my interactions with the executive, my boss's boss and my new boss I have for the time being regained some control of the situation.

Not counting any chickens yet!

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
              The arrival of the weekend and a very, very good night's sleep on Friday saw the mists clear and the anger channelled into action.

Had a meeting on Saturday with somebody who advises me on such matters. It went very well and gave me a number of ideas. Spent Sunday evening formulating a plan which would take effect first thing on Monday morning.

The plan has a number of stages, all of which are underway. In the past two days between my interactions with the executive, my boss's boss and my new boss I have for the time being regained some control of the situation.

Not counting any chickens yet!
              Thanks for the update.

Prayers are sent your way for wisdom, kindness, and success.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Prayers are sent your way for wisdom, kindness, and success.
                Also a club for wisdom teeth, kneecaps and excess.
                “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

My father-in-law had a boss try to screw him over at work once. Problem being that the guy was a lazy weasel who'd broken a bunch of State public utility regulations, and my father-in-law (who is honest to a fault), knew it. In the end, the guy was pleading with Gary to put in a good word for him so he could get his job back. He told the guy, "No, because you're a lying piece of **** and you'll always be a lying piece of ****."
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

The plan has a number of stages, all of which are underway.
                    Wait a minute...between this and the other thread about the Queen...are you planning to marry into the royal family?
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Wait a minute...between this and the other thread about the Queen...are you planning to marry into the royal family?
                      Pippa SWORE she wouldn't tell a soul!

Comment

Pippa's grandmother SWORE she wouldn't tell a soul!
                        fixed.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

This would explain the one-day blip in firearms and C-4 purchases in the Dublin area.

Had a meeting on Saturday with somebody who advises me on such matters.
                          Family name of Collins, per chance?

It went very well and gave me a number of ideas.
                          Don't cross the red wires.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            This would explain the one-day blip in firearms and C-4 purchases in the Dublin area.

Family name of Collins, per chance?

Don't cross the red wires.

...(stupid too short message limit)

Comment

Working...
                            X