No announcement yet.

So I've been given the shaft in work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This really blows. You are handling it well. It will get better in time. Hopefully with your superiors pulling their heads out of their a$$es.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
      Yeah, I have to agree. No amount of logic is going to make them change their mind by 11 AM tomorrow. It's a done deal. Either you can fake being a good soldier or you can publicly sulk and burn your bridges. To me, the smart play is to keep it close to your vest and play along while you either find another job or the situation changes.

Now really isn't the time to be rocking the boat.
      This is the play here.

I am sorry you have to go through with this.

Comment

Well, having stayed up until 2 or so putting together my approach for today's meeting, I've now been told that the meeting will happen next week.

The official announcement has just been made.

Underneath, I actually feel physically sick.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Seriously, Wonderboy is correct here. On both posts.
          Now see, that wasn't so difficult, was it?!
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
            Well, having stayed up until 2 or so putting together my approach for today's meeting, I've now been told that the meeting will happen next week.

The official announcement has just been made.

Underneath, I actually feel physically sick.
            I feel for what you are going through, but again, it was a done deal. You never had a chance. Put a fake smile on your face, tell your new boss you'll do everything to make your department successful, and do a good job.

It looks grim right now, but this too, shall change. One way or another, the wheel will eventually turn and you'll come out of this OK if you keep your wits about you.
            “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
              I feel for what you are going through, but again, it was a done deal. You never had a chance. Put a fake smile on your face, tell your new boss you'll do everything to make your department successful, and do a good job.
              Done.

Bounced up there after lunch to say my hellos. All good. Most positive person in the world, etc.

I actually managed to get 15 minutes with the executive earlier. Went broadly to plan. Learned something interesting along the way. Both the executive and my new boss's boss were both under the impression that I'm two or three grades more senior than I actually am. It was actually striking how surprised they were. This is a good thing in terms of their opinion of my work and general how-I-carry-myself-senior-ness. It's a bad thing in terms of my bargaining position for future promotions. It's a pathetic thing in terms of how dysfunctional this place is and it makes it even more odd in terms of how I was moved into this new job in the first place.

Right. The weekend is coming. I'm off to see Leinster play Ulster this evening. It's possible I might have a beer or two. Hope the rain holds off.

Ciao. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment

This sucks. Best of luck and keep your chin up (Too easy to miss the shot if your chin is pointed down too far).

Comment

... Both the executive and my new boss's boss were both under the impression that I'm two or three grades more senior than I actually am. It was actually striking how surprised they were. This is a good thing in terms of their opinion of my work and general how-I-carry-myself-senior-ness. It's a bad thing in terms of my bargaining position for future promotions. It's a pathetic thing in terms of how dysfunctional this place is and it makes it even more odd in terms of how I was moved into this new job in the first place. ...
                  general observation - from my perspective most organizations will only react to this when forced to; there are a few organizations that will proactively take care of their employees, but for the most part (and I think it's human nature to a degree), if they are getting great production from someone in a position lower than what they ought to be, they'll just let it ride, unless something motivates them to address the situation.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    general observation - from my perspective most organizations will only react to this when forced to; there are a few organizations that will proactively take care of their employees, but for the most part (and I think it's human nature to a degree), if they are getting great production from someone in a position lower than what they ought to be, they'll just let it ride, unless something motivates them to address the situation.
                    Precisely.

There will be redundancies here over the coming months. The executive, as part of his (hugely transparent) sales pitch, said that I was one of the people who he didn't want to be walking out of the place. I said that I was very glad to have his support but that I'd quite honestly need something to hang my hat on if, in the long term, I was to stay. He appreciated my position, so at least it's on the table.

Put it this way - if I can get a job spec in writing for this role that has the description of a level X instead of my own level, that's something which I can use in the future. As it is I'm a man looking for another job or a redundancy cheque (or, ideally, both!).

Comment

Well, it's accelerating my job search anyway
                      Yes, do everything you can to move to another organization if you can. In the meantime, while you pursue all your outside options, I agree with the group that you're best served by playing the good soldier in your current company.

Comment

Other than pride, would you or your company be any better off if you were the one given your manager's job? Seems that you have the same pay, the same power to get things done.

He must be doing something right if he can't get fired. It also seems that he likes you. Wouldn't it be profitable for you to figure out a way to actually befriend him? That way you do not have to compromise your integrity and you might find that things aren't so bad after all?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          He must be doing something right if he can't get fired. It also seems that he likes you. Wouldn't it be profitable for you to figure out a way to actually befriend him? That way you do not have to compromise your integrity and you might find that things aren't so bad after all?
                          Plus, if you befriend him, it'll be much easier to maneuver within striking distance with the shiv. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer! [/lifecoach]
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Other than pride, would you or your company be any better off if you were the one given your manager's job? Seems that you have the same pay, the same power to get things done.

This guy isn't really a fan of mine or not. The two guys above him are. I'll get on with him, no problem there.

With regard to your first point, yes this is a pride thing. I make no apologies for that. It's all I have left in this job.

Thunder and lightning over Dublin at the moment. Very unusual. Will need to bring rain jacket and beer jacket to the game!

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              Plus, if you befriend him, it'll be much easier to maneuver within striking distance with the shiv. Keep your freinds close, and your enemies closer! [/lifecoach]
                              I just burst into a grin and sniggers here at the desk.

Thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Plus, if you befriend him, it'll be much easier to maneuver within striking distance with the shiv. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer! [/lifecoach]
                                Or, as us ex-D&D geeks say, damage is tripled when you strike from behind.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X