No announcement yet.

Tipping at Panera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have to beg for a tip, you probably don't deserve one.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      Tipping in general is a bugaboo for me. Many times I'm flabbergasted that tipping is expected in certain situations. Here's how I generally handle it:

Sit-down restaurants: 15-20% depending on service
      Other restaurants: maybe $1 if it's not fast food
      Bars - $1 per drink unless it's something fancy
      Car wash - $3 every time on my $14 car wash
      Barber - $3 on my $22 haircut
      Hotel - nothing if I'm only there one night, a couple bucks if I'm there a few nights. Am I wrong or is this one of the ones that should be totally dependent on their salary? What am I tipping for unless I make a mess?
      Uber/Lyft - usually 10%

Honestly, I'd prefer if everything was more like Europe where tipping is not expected aside from maybe rounding up your dollar total. It becomes such an awkward situation here in the US where you're afraid of pissing off whomever, even though there really aren't any rules aside from waiters/waitresses.
      Agree that tipping is bullshit. Its just become so "expected" by way too many people.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Agree that tipping is bullshit. Its just become so "expected" by way too many people.
        excuse me Mr Pink....

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          excuse me Mr Pink....

Surprised it took so long for this clip.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
            My thoughts exactly unless they have completely changed in the last couple years.
            They actually have - it's actually pretty good now that they changed their recipe because I agree that it used to be crap.

Comment

What do you guys tip for food delivery?
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                Usually a couple bucks.

A while back I had a little run-in with the local pizza guy about tipping. I had already paid something like $4 as a delivery charge but when I went to get my food he seemed pissed off that I wasn't tipping him as well. When I told him I had already paid the delivery charged he claimed that would "barely cover the gas" (the place is less than a mile from my place). I begrudgingly gave him a couple more dollars but vowed to only do pick-up from that place from then on. This is why I prefer apps like Ubereats and Postmates where there's just a flat charge for them picking up the food for you and there's absolutely no expectation of a tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  At least 20% or more. Never less than 5 bucks.

My drivers have to go a lot farther than the kitchen and usually in bad weather.

My drivers are always glad to see me and my food is always hot. While I do not know this for sure, I would bet if the driver has a double he comes to my house first no matter the location. I am sure that my food is never, ever messed with.

The delivery charge is to cover wear and tear on the car as well as to make sure that the drivers get something. Most likely in cases where there is a delivery charge there is no hourly wage. They live off the delivery charge and tips.

The longer the driveway the shorter the tip.

Waiters, Waitresses and Bartenders tip the best. Maybe ex-pizza delivery guys would be in there as well.

If I can't afford a good tip at a restaurant or one for delivery, I cannot afford the service.

Comment

I play in a regular $100 poker tourney hosted by the owner of a bar/resturant within walking distance of my house. This guy is super generous, donating 20% of monday revenues to local public schools (different one each month) INCLUDING ALCOHOL!. Your $100 gets you drunk and fed, you aren't paying anything. There is always one staff member taking care of the roughly 30 of us. I always hand over $20, and make it clear to the winners that 10% of your winnings is the traditional FLOOR to tip out, most go higher. This weeks winner handed over $40 bucks of his 2k takehome. He said that this was the difference between his kids having a "good Xmas" or not. The guy in 2nd handed over 50% of his winnings, and I told the guy that he should keep his $100 next time and buy his kids some presents instead of coming to the tourney if winning would be the difference in Xmas for his kids.

This thread reminded me of that guy
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I play in a regular $100 poker tourney hosted by the owner of a bar/resturant within walking distance of my house. This guy is super generous, donating 20% of monday revenues to local public schools (different one each month) INCLUDING ALCOHOL!. Your $100 gets you drunk and fed, you aren't paying anything. There is always one staff member taking care of the roughly 30 of us. I always hand over $20, and make it clear to the winners that 10% of your winnings is the traditional FLOOR to tip out, most go higher. This weeks winner handed over $40 bucks of his 2k takehome. He said that this was the difference between his kids having a "good Xmas" or not. The guy in 2nd handed over 50% of his winnings, and I told the guy that he should keep his $100 next time and buy his kids some presents instead of coming to the tourney if winning would be the difference in Xmas for his kids.

Not even close my man. Not even close. People want tipped for doing nothing extra. Just because you are "Mister Big Tipper" doesn't mean we all subscribe to that theory. I bet that staff member makes out pretty damn good in his tips for the night.

And it's ridiculous that YOU set your arbitrary rules of how much everyone should tip. The dude tipped $40 for crying out loud. Boo fucking Hoo the poor staff guy only got a $40 tip from one guy. Give me a break Bob.

Comment

Not even close my man. Not even close. People want tipped for doing nothing extra. Just because you are "Mister Big Tipper" doesn't mean we all subscribe to that theory. I bet that staff member makes out pretty damn good in his tips for the night.

And it's ridiculous that YOU set your arbitrary rules of how much everyone should tip. The dude tipped $40 for crying out loud. Boo fucking Hoo the poor staff guy only got a $40 tip from one guy. Give me a break Bob.
                        that staff member doesn't have any other customers except the poker room, there is an expectation, set by the owner and supported by his generosity that the players will take care of his staff. That guy, and anyone else that doesn't follow that tradition, will not be welcomed back to play.

Comment

that staff member doesn't have any other customers except the poker room, there is an expectation, set by the owner and supported by his generosity that the players will take care of his staff. That guy, and anyone else that doesn't follow that tradition, will not be welcomed back to play.
                          So $40 from someone isnt enough? Ah well. Cest la vie.

If the tipping rules for a private game are known beforehand, then that is totally different than the gist of this thread.
                          Last edited by Mithrandir; 12-07-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

While i don't disagree with Mith that $40 is pretty generous, it is also the group's right to decide such rules and remove those who refuse to follow those rules. But really, $1700 profit vs. $1860 profit makes the difference between a Good Xmas or not??
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Yep, I agree with all of this.

I win $2k I am tipping $200. I win why wouldn't I bless/share my good fortune?

Comment

Fucking Panera. When you pay with debit card it asks if you want to tip. For what!!! Using the fucking register. You pick up your own damn food!!
                                Go to Culvers. No tipping allowed and the food is less expensive.
                                Last edited by Gregg; 12-15-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X