Official Sexual Harrassment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Yeah, that one looks very dark. They tortured those women. Sometimes something like this comes to light, like with Weinstein, and you are like, hmm, that doesn't surprise me. Something like this--she seems to have hid her darkside well.
    So of course, it's worthy of being turned into a TV series...

Starring Allison Mack and Kristen Kreuk as themselves (j/k)

Comment

• Bill Cosby found GUILTY of three counts of sexual indecent assault and faces up to 10 years in prison. Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Bill Cosby found GUILTY of three counts of sexual indecent assault and faces up to 10 years in prison. Wow.

Glad they at least got him on this one, as I suspect he's guilty of far more sexual assaults/rapes. I don't know that I think 10 years is enough for drugging and raping a women (let alone probably several women).

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

Glad they at least got him on this one, as I suspect he's guilty of far more sexual assaults/rapes. I don't know that I think 10 years is enough for drugging and raping a women (let alone probably several women).
          Probably, at his age, it’s a life sentence.
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Isn't it 10 years per count?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Isn't it 10 years per count?
              can be served concurrently, apparently

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                can be served concurrently, apparently
                I never understood that option. Anyone know why that is a thing? I can't think of cases where it would be fair/equitable to let someone serve concurrently, but I'm sure they exist, but in that case, why not just charge the person for one count of the offense?
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-26-2018, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I never understood that option. Anyone know why that is a thing? I can't think of cases where it would be fair/equitable to let someone serve concurrently, but I'm sure they exist, but in that case, why not just charge the person for one count of the offense?
                  I don't know that the decision will be made until sentencing, but I suspect that Bernie pretty much nailed it. The odds of a man walking out of prison in his late 80's are pretty slim, so at this point it amounts to a life sentence. It's not a lot different than the other side of the spectrum, where a person is sentenced to multiple terms of life, adding up to hundreds of years. It's impossible to serve them all, of course, but it's pretty symbolic.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

If the charges were essentially three different ways in which the same conduct against the same woman was illegal (one usually the most aggressive crime under which the conduct can be charged, plus two "lesser" offenses which are easier to prove and were primarily charged to avoid an acquittal), then concurrent sentences make sense. If you have three counts in the trial for three distinct acts, such as if he were being charged simultaneously for the drugging and sexual assault of three different women, then the sentence would more likely be consecutive.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      If the charges were essentially three different ways in which the same conduct against the same woman was illegal (one usually the most aggressive crime under which the conduct can be charged, plus two "lesser" offenses which are easier to prove and were primarily charged to avoid an acquittal), then concurrent sentences make sense. If you have three counts in the trial for three distinct acts, such as if he were being charged simultaneously for the drugging and sexual assault of three different women, then the sentence would more likely be consecutive.
                      Got it. In this case, speculation suggests there will be concurrent sentencing despite separate crimes, based on Cosby's age and/or based on his other good deeds. I get that, but I also get the perspective that he got to live a great life for a very long time without having to face these crimes, so I'm okay with the symbolism of demanding consecutive sentences, even if it amounts tot he same time served (a life sentence).

Comment

Got it. In this case, speculation suggests there will be concurrent sentencing despite separate crimes, based on Cosby's age and/or based on his other good deeds. I get that, but I also get the perspective that he got to live a great life for a very long time without having to face these crimes, so I'm okay with the symbolism of demanding consecutive sentences, even if it amounts tot he same time served (a life sentence).
                        I'm having a hard time finding the details on line about the three counts on which he was convicted, but the stories I'm reading are only describing the case as hinging on a single event in early 2004 with one woman, not three separate crimes. I can't tell from any of the reports what distinguishes the three counts on which he was convicted.

Comment

• https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...walked-1106418

that's Tom Brokaw's long and spirited defense from being the latest accused

"It is 4:00 am on the first day of my new life as an accused predator in the universe of American journalism. I was ambushed and then perp walked across the pages of The Washington Post and Variety as an avatar of male misogyny, taken to the guillotine and stripped of any honor and achievement I had earned in more than a half century of journalism and citizenship.....

"I am facing a long list of grievances from a former colleague who left NBC News angry that she had failed in her pursuit of stardom. She has unleashed a torrent of unsubstantiated criticism and attacks on me more than twenty years after I opened the door for her and a new job at Fox news.

Linda Vester was given the run of the Washington Post and Variety to vent her grievances, to complain that I tickled her without permission (you read that right), that I invaded her hotel room, accepted an invitation to her apartment under false pretenses and in general was given a free hand to try to destroy all that I have achieved with my family, my NBC career, my writing and my citizenship."
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I find Brokaw's defense/response compelling and am initially inclined to put this in the Aziz Ansari category of a man maybe crossing some fuzzy lines, but not being s full blown harrasser (he doesn't deny the tickling, which just on its own is a little creepy and inappropriate). I'll refrain from judgement until more info does or does not come out. If Brokow was a predator with her, rather than a guy who may have said or done some poor flirting, history tells us he would have been with others as well. If that is the case, his impassioned push back will likely draw them out to respond in kind.

Comment

• Over 60 female colleagues of Brokaw's have signed a letter of support for him. This swift move to defend Brokaw is shocking to me given how deferential folks have been with such allegations, for fear of later being proven to defend a harasser. Some might say at least some of the 60 women to sign the letter are being inconsistent or hypocritical in giving him the benefit of the doubt over others. However, I find the sheer number of those willing to put themselves their to support him very compelling evidence about his character.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ra...kaw/ar-AAwrCUT

Comment

Over 60 female colleagues of Brokaw's have signed a letter of support for him. This swift move to defend Brokaw is shocking to me given how deferential folks have been with such allegations, for fear of later being proven to defend a harasser. Some might say at least some of the 60 women to sign the letter are being inconsistent or hypocritical in giving him the benefit of the doubt over others. However, I find the sheer number of those willing to put themselves their to support him very compelling evidence about his character.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ra...kaw/ar-AAwrCUT
                                But, but.....he tickled her wrist. He needs to be punished.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X