No announcement yet.

Official Sexual Harrassment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest big name that I've seen is Aziz Ansari, although this one seems to be a case of Ansari seemingly being oblivious to non-verbal cues of the accuser not really being into the activities. There is some push back from some Ansari defenders. I am interested in these border cases, because they will define for society exactly what is assault and what is not.

Comment

• Add Michael Douglas to the list.

And on this particular case, here is a good read about how thorough the vetting process is, at least at some publications, before going live with such stories. Reading this not only makes me more likely to believe Douglas's accuser, and show dismay at his denial and attacks of her, but also gives me a newfound respect for the journalists that carefully vet and consider sources before running such stories.

Kudos to all who follow such a model research and vetting model. I think more publications should highlight their processes in publishing these stories to combat the claims this author addresses head on:

"As the floodgates have opened and new accusers come forward nearly every day, some have said the #MeToo movement has gone too far and that the media is either complicit in a burgeoning witch hunt or, worse, exploiting the situation for notoriety or web traffic or whatever. While there are stories that have crossed a line, I don't think the solution is to listen to women less or dismiss their stories more. Responsible media outlets, it seems, should be listening to these stories, vetting them thoroughly and presenting those that pass muster in the proper context. That's our standard, at least."
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-18-2018, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• Latest accused: Ron Jeremy, David Copperfield
        Latest accuser: Natalie Portman

Comment

• Latest accused: Steve Wynn

Comment

• Latest accused: Scott Baio
            Latest accuser: Nicole Eggert

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Latest accused: Scott Baio
              Latest accuser: Nicole Eggert
              Baio acknowledged that the pair did have sex, but claims it was consensual, and that Eggert would have been at least 18 years old at the time of the encounter.

'I remember her calling me and asking me to come over and coming in my house one time, and seducing me,' Baio says in the video.

'Any normal heterosexual, red-blooded American guy, the outcome would have been the same,' he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...legations.html

Eggert's claims don't necessarily conflict with Baio's... as Eggert had claimed that Baio molested (fingered... ugh....) her when she was 14. Baio's only response is that he had sex with her when she was "at least 18"... pathetic.

These creeps believe their own lies and excuses too. Baio's response video is what you'd expect from a Trump supporting rapist.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Latest accused: Burns Strider
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Latest accused: Ted Miller
                  Latest accuser: Mary Worth

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Skimming this thread, it seems like we've gotten caught up in the celebrity aspect of it and haven't grappled with the broader societal questions about the workplace and dating and justice, etc.

How has #metoo caused any of you to rethink your own behavior over the course of your workplace and dating career, if at all? What would you want to teach your sons and your daughters about how to behave in the world, both for their own protection and for their overall character as human beings? What worries/concerns do you have about the #metoo moment/movement?

Those are the good questions for me. Interested in hearing thoughts, and I promise to share some of my own, rather than just posing questions.

Comment

• I guess this one's dying out in the Sports Bar, but what do you think about this Katy Perry on American Idol thing, and this take from a conservative opinion site that sexually aggressive women tend to get a free pass?

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I guess this one's dying out in the Sports Bar, but what do you think about this Katy Perry on American Idol thing, and this take from a conservative opinion site that sexually aggressive women tend to get a free pass?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28272...lly-matt-walsh
                        Oh puhleeze!!!

Comment

• someone had a deadline to meet, but that article is ridiculous. k perry and contestant were flirting, there was no quid pro quo harassment, in fact despite the kid being not too terrible imo, he did not go thru to next round. sexual harassment requires an element of intimidation, threat, with a type of power dynamic that makes victim unable to say no. "Glaze said he didn't feel sexually harassed by Perry and appreciated her tweeting about him, which helped give his music more exposure."

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                            someone had a deadline to meet, but that article is ridiculous. k perry and contestant were flirting, there was no quid pro quo harassment, in fact despite the kid being not too terrible imo, he did not go thru to next round. sexual harassment requires an element of intimidation, threat, with a type of power dynamic that makes victim unable to say no. "Glaze said he didn't feel sexually harassed by Perry and appreciated her tweeting about him, which helped give his music more exposure."
                            I think it's a bit ridiculous, but had the sexes been reversed, do you think there would be a big outcry?

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                              I think it's a bit ridiculous, but had the sexes been reversed, do you think there would be a big outcry?
                              Yes, there absolutely would have been, given the ages and relative power dynamics.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                I guess this one's dying out in the Sports Bar, but what do you think about this Katy Perry on American Idol thing, and this take from a conservative opinion site that sexually aggressive women tend to get a free pass?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28272...lly-matt-walsh
                                From what I read about the kid's response, it wasn't appropriate for Perry to do. The kid said he did not want to kiss her, and would not have consented, if he knew she was going to do that. She beckoned him over, and it seemed clear the kid felt obligated to follow her directions. Perry also admitted she may have flustered him, and part of him not moving on may have been caused by that.

All that said, I don't think it was/is a huge deal, especially in the context of it being on a show meant to capture and hold an audience, a context within which all participants tend to expect more outlandish behavior than it normal off camera (is there any doubt that Halle Berry would have reacted very differently to Adrien Brody forcing an aggressive and sudden kiss on her at the Oscars, if it were just a random street interaction). It was inappropriate but not a major offense. And I suspect Perry was being too self-critical in thinking she may have thrown him off, but in hindsight, I'd have the same regrets as she did. I suspect he would not have made it through either way, but IDK, and that would make me feel bad, if I'm Perry.

I'll add the that after some initial comments that put the negative spotlight on Perry, the kid has been gracious in down-playing the incident, which I think is the appropriate response for him in this situation.
                                Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-15-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X