Official Sexual Harrassment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Let someone with a clean slate come in to replace him.
    This is the problem, no one has a clean slate, or if they do, it won’t matter because the opposition will create the narrative necessary to make it appear as though the slate is not clean. Maybe Ive become too much of a skeptic but I feel like a rational thinking decent person simply would not subject themselves, or more importantly thier loved ones, to the scrutiny, character assassination, defamation and outright lies that come with running for a national public office.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
      It's a golden time to be in HR. Three harassment claims in the last 4 weeks have come across my desk. Been doing the whirlwind tour of our locations doing Harassment/Discrimination trainings. Job security.
      Man, three in four weeks? And they've let you keep your job? I guess nothing is sticking from your harassment/discrimination training. Keep it in your pants, Scooter.

Comment

• This from MSN/Wonderwall:

Ever since he was accused of groping a woman on the set of "Entourage," Jeremy Piven has fiercely maintained his innocence, even saying that he would be wiling to take a polygraph to prove it.

It turns out he did just that on Nov. 13, and he passed.

The Blast obtained a copy of Jeremy's polygraph exam report, which was administered by a member of the American Polygraph Association with Chapman Investigations.

On Oct. 30, actress Ariane Bellamar alleged that Piven groped her on two separate occasions. "Hey @jeremypiven! 'Member when you cornered me in your trailer on the #Entourage set? 'Member grabbing my boobies on the without asking??," she tweeted, later adding, "Jeremy Piven, on two occasions, cornered me & forcefully fondled my breasts & bum. Once at the mansion & once on set."

Now what? Should she be required to take a polygraph test?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          This is the problem, no one has a clean slate, or if they do, it won’t matter because the opposition will create the narrative necessary to make it appear as though the slate is not clean. Maybe Ive become too much of a skeptic but I feel like a rational thinking decent person simply would not subject themselves, or more importantly thier loved ones, to the scrutiny, character assassination, defamation and outright lies that come with running for a national public office.
          Yeah, I wouldn't want to play the game they play. The whole system needs serious reform. I think it is good when real dirt comes to light, but you are right. If the dirt isn't there, the opposition often makes some up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            This from MSN/Wonderwall:

Ever since he was accused of groping a woman on the set of "Entourage," Jeremy Piven has fiercely maintained his innocence, even saying that he would be wiling to take a polygraph to prove it.

It turns out he did just that on Nov. 13, and he passed.

The Blast obtained a copy of Jeremy's polygraph exam report, which was administered by a member of the American Polygraph Association with Chapman Investigations.

On Oct. 30, actress Ariane Bellamar alleged that Piven groped her on two separate occasions. "Hey @jeremypiven! 'Member when you cornered me in your trailer on the #Entourage set? 'Member grabbing my boobies on the without asking??," she tweeted, later adding, "Jeremy Piven, on two occasions, cornered me & forcefully fondled my breasts & bum. Once at the mansion & once on set."

There's a reason that polygraph tests aren't allowed on court, they're notoriously unreliable. Given that Piven in a professional actor, I would think that he'd have a better chance to beat a polygraph that the average person. There's a great quote from Marlon Brando:

Lying for a living. That's what acting is. All I've done is just learned how to be aware of the process.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              If I were falsely accused, I'd do everything i reasonably could to clear my name too, but I wouldn't take a polygraph. They are notoriously inaccurate. There are reasons why they are inadmissable in court. You have nothing to gain from taking one. If you pass, people will say you beat it. If you draw a false positive, people will believe you are guilty.no matter what happens after that.

Comment

• Charlie Rose, come on down! You’re the latest contestant on “Don’t Touch Me There!”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  There's a reason that polygraph tests aren't allowed on court, they're notoriously unreliable. Given that Piven in a professional actor, I would think that he'd have a better chance to beat a polygraph that the average person. There's a great quote from Marlon Brando:
                  Polygraphs are not admissible in most proceedings, but it isn't because actors can beat them. (I would guess that actors do no better than anyone else...they don't really lie, any more than a novelist lies when she writes. Controlling autonomic responses is another trick entirely.)

I hadn't read about the Piven deal. We say that every woman who alleges sexual misconduct has the right to be believed. But, if the polygraph testing was legit, one could argue that the ball is back in her court so far as proof is concerned.

I saw this pic of Franken and Tweeden performing the skit they had rehearsed that created the controversy. (I don't know how to attach it in a larger size.)

franken_tweeden_kiss-650x434.jpg
                  Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 11-20-2017, 10:23 PM.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                    Polygraphs are not admissible in most proceedings, but it isn't because actors can beat them. (I would guess that actors do no better than anyone else...they don't really lie, any more than a novelist lies when she writes. Controlling autonomic responses is another trick entirely.)

I hadn't read about the Piven deal. We say that every woman who alleges sexual misconduct has the right to be believed. But, if the polygraph testing was legit, one could argue that the ball is back in her court so far as proof is concerned.

I saw this pic of Franken and Tweeden performing the skit they had rehearsed that created the controversy. (I don't know how to attach it in a larger size.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1023[/ATTACH]
                    I'd have to respectfully disagree...trained actors are uniquely qualified to beat a polygraph. Many of them immerse themselves into a role, sometimes to the point where they don't even want to break character while NOT on stage or filming. Now, you can call it what you wish, but pretending to be someone that your not can certainly qualify as "lying" for a living in my book. I'll take Brando's word on it as well...but yes, controlling your autonomic responses are the key.

Plenty of information out there on the internet on how to beat a lie detector test, this from the NY Times a few years back:

“A polygraph is nothing more than a psychological billy club used to coerce and intimidate people,” says Doug Williams, a former Oklahoma City police detective and polygraph examiner who for 36 years has trained people to pass the lie-detector test. The first step is not to be intimidated. Most tests include two types of questions: relevant ones about a specific incident (“Did you leak classified information to The New York Times?”) and broader so-called control questions (“Have you ever lied to anyone who trusted you?”). The test assumes that an innocent person telling the truth will have a stronger reaction to the control questions than to the relevant ones. Before your test, practice deciphering between the two question types. “Go to the beach” when you hear a relevant question, Williams says. Calm yourself before answering by imagining gentle waves and warm sand.

When you get a control question, which is more general, envision the scariest thing you can in order to trigger physiological distress; the polygraph’s tubes around your chest measure breathing, the arm cuff monitors heart rate and electrodes attached to you fingertips detect perspiration. What is your greatest fear? Falling? Drowning? Being buried alive? “Picture that,” Williams says. He used to advise trainees to clench their anus but has since concluded that terrifying mental imagery works better.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Sodium Pentothal?

Comment

• Latest accuser: Kevin Sorbo (accusing the late Gianni Versace)
                        Latest accused: Hollywood producer Adam Fields

Comment

• i said before it was an epidemic.

Comment

• I've been thinking more on this in the past few days. I stated this about Franken, with the first allegation. He had to have known this was out there. I think ever person looks back at the stupid moments of their life, and thinks, "I wish I could have that moment as a do-over."

As someone in a power position, someone of great authority, when the new about Harvey Weinstein came out, you would think they would have done a history check of where am I exposed (sorry for the pun) when it comes to this topic. These people are intelligent people. They have to know these incidents are potentially going to crop up. Why would you not get out in front of the news cycle. Be in front of the allegation. Apologize for past behavior.

For all of these people, their issue is they are all narcissists.
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                              I've been thinking more on this in the past few days. I stated this about Franken, with the first allegation. He had to have known this was out there. I think ever person looks back at the stupid moments of their life, and thinks, "I wish I could have that moment as a do-over."

As someone in a power position, someone of great authority, when the new about Harvey Weinstein came out, you would think they would have done a history check of where am I exposed (sorry for the pun) when it comes to this topic. These people are intelligent people. They have to know these incidents are potentially going to crop up. Why would you not get out in front of the news cycle. Be in front of the allegation. Apologize for past behavior.

For all of these people, their issue is they are all narcissists.
                              I dunno, with the benefit of hindsight this might seem obvious, but it had been 10+ years since the event in question for Franken ... it hadn't been an issue before, I can see how he would think it would continue to stay in the past. From his perspective this wasn't anything like a Weinstein ... it wouldn't be too hard to convince yourself that this was a minor indiscretion.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                I dunno, with the benefit of hindsight this might seem obvious, but it had been 10+ years since the event in question for Franken ... it hadn't been an issue before, I can see how he would think it would continue to stay in the past. From his perspective this wasn't anything like a Weinstein ... it wouldn't be too hard to convince yourself that this was a minor indiscretion.
                                I'm not just reference Franken, but I would disagree with you. I think every man has to have thought, "With the current tide of #metoo, am I going to wind up hearing about this?" Heck, Scot even confirms this in his business with how many sexual harassment claims in the last couple of weeks.

Charlie Rose, certainly, should have been quaking in his boots knowing that someone could potentially come forward. This is a new era, and a wise person would be looking toward any potential exposure (again, sorry for the pun) and want to be out in front of it.
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X