RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip)

I know they never reached a huge international audience, but it's a sad day up here as Gord Downie, lead singer of The Tragically Hip died last night at 53 from brain cancer.

The Hip was a national treasure up here; they were a huge part of the soundtrack of my youth; if someone asks me what Canadian popular music is I start with these guys.

I've already had people come into my office this morning & just shake their heads. With brain cancer everyone knew this was coming, but still.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

"If I die of vanity, promise me, promise me,
    They bury me some place I don't want to be,
    You'll dig me up and transport me, unceremoniously,
    Away from the swollen city-breeze, garbage bag trees,
    Whispers of disease and the acts of enormity
    And lower me slowly, sadly and properly
    Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy,
    At the hundredth meridian"

Thank you, Gord.

Comment

A great guy who I had the pleasure to somewhat know from the Kingston Ontario music scene.

One of my fondest memories of Gord (and the Hip) was in the mid 90s. I went to a small pub to watch my buddies band play. We sat down to get a bite to eat prior to his show when the owner approached our table and told my friend he would not be playing that night. He would be paid, comp'd supper and drinks ... and ... we were welcome to stay in the pub for a special guest band playing only for friends and family.

The band? The Tragically Hip - our local made it big band.

Before my friend could even respond a hand landed on his shoulder and a gruff voice asked "You guys OK with that?" - it was Gord. He proceeded to join us for a pint and shoot the shit about anything and everything excluding his music/work.

The experience (and evening) was awesome.

RIP Gord.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
        A great guy who I had the pleasure to somewhat know from the Kingston Ontario music scene.

One of my fondest memories of Gord (and the Hip) was in the mid 90s. I went to a small pub to watch my buddies band play. We sat down to get a bite to eat prior to his show when the owner approached our table and told my friend he would not be playing that night. He would be paid, comp'd supper and drinks ... and ... we were welcome to stay in the pub for a special guest band playing only for friends and family.

The band? The Tragically Hip - our local made it big band.

Before my friend could even respond a hand landed on his shoulder and a gruff voice asked "You guys OK with that?" - it was Gord. He proceeded to join us for a pint and shoot the shit about anything and everything excluding his music/work.

The experience (and evening) was awesome.

RIP Gord.
        In winter 1994 me and my roommate went to Cocamo in Kingston to see Canadian rock band Junkhouse. During the show my roommate motioned to the door and said "look who just walked in!" It was The Hip. I went over and shook Gord's hand. One of two celebrity handshakes for me - the other was George Bell at Exhibition Stadium.

That said, I like their music because I grew up an hour west of Kingston and went to University in Kingston but never loved the band. This clip epitomizes the Hip for me. Gord Downie looks like a lunatic ranting and doing the herky-jerky. I didn't get it.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

The Tragically Hip were my first ever concert, at 13 years old. They played Thunder Bay at a time when they were so big, tickets were impossible to come by. The only way I got to go is through my dad winning tickets off the radio. That year the radio had a contest called "what would you do for Hip tickets?", in which 1 unlucky participant licked a bar toilet bowl... and lost! So, these tickets felt special.

I still remember so many details of the show, Gord flipping his mic stand upside down and miming playing hockey... and I still remember my reaction at the end of the show, saying "My favourite part was when everybody clapped and cheered, and forced the band to come back out to play a few more songs!" I didn't realize that all shows had an encore.

I only saw The Hip that one time, but they sure set me up for a lifetime of music appreciation.

Rest in peace, Gord.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
          X