No announcement yet.

Furnishing a Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like antiques, or modern for furniture? Estate sales can be a good source for end table dining room and kithen sets.

Regarding couches. Do not get too cheap but do not buy into the "you can have them recovered. I buy leather couches that my young kids and animals jumped on. I paid about 1000 dollars each instead of the $4k some pay. When they wear out I just throw them out and buy new. I watch the sales at discount furniture places. My inlaws just had an estimate of $4k to redo their very good quality sofa that they paid $4k 20 years ago. They are not going to do it. So the extra they paid was a loss but not as big as if they redo it. Plus it is kind of fun to mix things up every 10 years or so.

End table, hutches, lamps are antiques or antique looking.

Take your time and have fun with it. Couch TV and Bed are the now needs, everything else can be an adventure.

Comment

hit Pottery barn today-- not my style, though the glassware is cool. It's kind of pricey too, 1600 for an avg looking sofa. I must get myself out more often. Oh and no Crate and barrel in addition to no Ikea in Vegas.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So how did furnishing your apartment turn out? Sounds like you went for all new furnishings! I am probably going to take a job out of state and I really do not want to deal with having to pack and move all my old beat up furniture. I am trying to decide on a condo or an apartment. I plan to just take my essentials with me such as clothes and kitchen supplies. All I need to buy once I get settled in will be my bedroom set, living room furniture, dining room table, and maybe look at some new patio sets if I have enough space. If I end up buying a condo rather than renting, I can take out a larger mortgage and use that money to cover my expenses with furnishing the place.
        Last edited by ; 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X