Melania's Wardrobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melania's Wardrobe

There has been a whole lot of ink (and electrons) lately devoted to the First Lady's fashion choices, particularly regarding the pricetags on the various items she has chosen to wear. I realize that writers have column inches to fill, but I really don't believe Melania's clothing is worthy of note beyond the Style Section.

The FLOTUS should be expected to dress well. What that means for a given First Lady is a matter of context. For my wife, that would be fairly modest. For someone whose husband is supposed to be worth over a billion dollars, and who is considered a fashion leader, something more is understandable.

From what I read, the big ticket items such as ball gowns are not paid for with taxpayer funds. Major designers have always pushed to have their dresses worn by those in the White House, and donate them for that purpose.

I can see situations in which the choice of certain attire for certain events might be considered a little tone deaf, such as very expensive and fancy clothes at a homeless shelter. But the mere fact that a First Lady's outfit costs more than we would spend on a car is not, alone, a reason for condemnation. Sometimes she just makes an easy target.

So, there.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

i've seen her naked
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      i've seen her naked
      Who hasn't?
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
      X