No announcement yet.

Hurricane Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what my commute looks like from the traffic cameras as of this morning. I'm guessing I won't be going in to work any time soon.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      While that has some truth to it, that's a distortion of the facts. It is due to a lot of growth in the Houston metro area, and the fact that while planning has adapted to that, it hasn't been able to keep up.

This Twitter thread is a good place to get more info:

Also, this is the most flooding rain that has fallen anywhere in recorded U.S. history, so maybe it's not fair to blame politicians and planners for that?
      Good point. I have no idea of the situation, just conveying what I had heard.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

still raining but the projected track of the storm is moving well to the east of Houston so I think we're close to being done with major rainfall.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Good point. I have no idea of the situation, just conveying what I had heard.
          Just an observation - by repeating what others have said without verifying anything, it adds credibility to the position, forcing others to have to disprove it.

These days it's possible to hear just about any & every bizarre theory on talk-radio ... if people started considering all of them potentially valid, then social media would be filled with all kinds of crazy ideas ... and what kind of world would that be???
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Mike, what's the water quality report? Do you have tap water? Is it potable or at least safe for washing?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              Just an observation - by repeating what others have said without verifying anything, it adds credibility to the position, forcing others to have to disprove it.

These days it's possible to hear just about any & every bizarre theory on talk-radio ... if people started considering all of them potentially valid, then social media would be filled with all kinds of crazy ideas ... and what kind of world would that be???
              eh, I feel like there's a difference between him saying that in a bar in Pittsburgh to a bunch of people who have no clue and saying it in front of Seitzer who is obviously in a position to verify/refute. Here it's more "I heard this..." with a silent, "what do you think of that..." at the end.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                Mike, what's the water quality report? Do you have tap water? Is it potable or at least safe for washing?

J
                Houston water officials have said that the water supply is safe.

We have also not lost power at all except for a brief glitch. About half of my friends and co-workers across the city are without power this morning. I don't know how representative that is of the whole city.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

that's very good to hear; there sure are some crazy stories/pics ... with the storm heading back over the gulf hopefully it doesn't strengthen.
                  I'm glad it went east instead of north. North would have been toward me. We escaped with little more than a three day soak, about 1 1/2" total. Mundane rain is lined up all week.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

We have had 26" so far at my house. Some places in south Houston over 36". As of this morning they are forecasting another 17 inches over the next four days, but I'm not sure at this point that is going to materialize as Harvey is starting to wrap in some dry air.

The San Jacinto River south of me is still rising. Is is currently 13 feet out of its banks and projected to rise another three feet.

Comment

I can not imagine the clusterfuck that SF would be if it got that much rain, glad you rode it out
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

be especially careful once the waters start to recede ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I think this is the closest river/creek to me:

"The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

The guy I listen to is pretty credible and is it beyond the realm of believability that politicians just kick the can down the road with big issues like this.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Comment

And the drumbeat goes on. We had another 7" of rain overnight. The San Jacinto River is now two feet beyond the previous catastrophic flood level from 1994. It's 1.5 miles wide. A lot of my friends on lower ground are now evacuating, and I've been hearing the helicopters going overhead all morning. They are saying the rain should mostly stop some time tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X