Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN - what F'ing MORONS

http://http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/...ame/index.html

I saw this last night and thought it was a joke. Checked multiple references and now that CNN is putting it out there - well I am hoping it is true.

At some point we have to move on folks - worried about an Asian Robert Lee offending people just because of his name.

ACK!
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    http://http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/...ame/index.html

I saw this last night and thought it was a joke. Checked multiple references and now that CNN is putting it out there - well I am hoping it is true.

At some point we have to move on folks - worried about an Asian Robert Lee offending people just because of his name.

ACK!

Yeah, it was a bad call, but you do get the whole "Robert Lee/ Robert E Lee" broadcasting a Virginia game thing, right? (I think it's actually in Charlottesville) ... it wasn't an asian thing
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I get that Robert E Lee was a civil war general. Robert Lee is an Asian Sportscaster - and anyone that would try to make the jump to connect the two of them in someway just to claim that they are offended - well sorry - in my mind is really reaching.

Yep those Asian Americans are really trying to rub it in about the Civil War.

Like I said - at some point we have to move on.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

hmmmm ... I just see it as a business decision to avoid a potential controversy and I don't think the race of the guy has anything to do with it (kind of a principle of staying away from anything that could potentially associate your business with nazis/white supremacists - putting a broadcaster on the home opener in Charlottesville named Robert Lee could be perceived as taking a side) ... but I admit I haven't read anything yet, all I've seen are the headlines ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

So ESPN really thinks that if someone tunes into a football game and see some asian guy named Robert Lee (Lee being a very common asian last name) that they are going to go off and become offended......

I mean seriously any guy named Robert Lee should have been able to do the game (white, black, asian, mexican, whatever). The race of the person is somewhat irrelevant, but an asian guy with that name just emphasizes how ludicrous this thought process is.

Now if Robert Lee showed up in a Confederate Generals outfit - then yeah I could probably understand.

Comment

I guess Bob Lee wasn't an option?

Comment

Keep in mind, ESPN is fresh off being reamed from showing parts of a Fantasy Football Auction as part of their recent marathon. It's about public perception. Going overboard? Perhaps. But after the recent backlash, well, it makes a little more sense.
              Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Working...
              X