No announcement yet.

Eclipse today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was fairly underwhelming in SF, although with all the clouds and fog, much of it could be seen without the glasses. We had people here keeping their special snowflakes out of the first day of school because SFUSD couldn't "guarantee the safety of their children from the eclipse", many of these are the same parents pushing for their kids to be in advanced math as freshmen in high school because they are so smart.....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I drove about 570 miles 1-way to see it in Niota, TN. Just got back home. I chose that spot for 3 reasons: 1) it was at about the center of the path of totality, 2) sky conditions were expected to be favorable, 3) it had a library that was giving out free eclipse glasses, while supplies lasted (every place was sold out where I live). Things worked out as well as I could have expected. Traffic was heavy in places getting there but I made it there about 45 mins before the total eclipse. I saw places that were charging people to park but I parked on a city street for free. The sky cooperated as no clouds blocked the sun the entire time. There were a lot of people there but it wasnt super crowded at all. I didnt talk to too many people there, but one guy came all the way from New Zealand for the event. The library had plenty of eclipse glasses left and indeed they were free, but they said I could give a donation if I liked. I dont know how much commercial vendors were charging for the glasses (I heard $100 at some online places) but I was prepared to pay $20 so I gave them $10. The glasses I found to be nothing special as the sun just appears as an orange disk (I dont know what I was expecting) and you dont need them for the total part of the eclipse, which was what I really wanted to see. I brought my digital camera along w my smartphone but picture taking w them didnt really work since they let in enough light to illuminate the entire scene which made it look like the sun was shining normally, even during the total part of the eclipse. Anyway, the total eclipse was awesome and worth the hassle of getting there and back. The sky didnt get completely dark but was like twilight in all directions. The temperature didnt change any more than if the sun went behind the clouds for a few minutes. I saw "Bailey's Beads" around the entire perimeter of the eclipse. The corona wasnt nearly as big as I thought it would be. In pictures others took of it it was bigger but that's not what I saw live. Some people remarked that it looked like there was a hole in the sky, and actually that seems accurate; it was a 'light hole' - no light coming from that part of the sky.

Comment

cool. literally.

I just came across this pic, taken yesterday by nasa (they have the best toys) ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
        X