Neil YOung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    While I enjoy the Crazy horse period, I love his acoustic stuff, like Unknown Legend, Pocahontis and Four Strong Winds, etc. So much good stuff. Sometimes when I drive from Chicago to Iron Mointain in the summer, I just have Siri play Neil on shuffle. That 6 hours of great music.
    If you're ever stopping in the Green Bay area, pop me a PM. I'd be happy to buy you a beer if you have the time.

Understand where you're coming from. I have to credit someone who used to be in here - a Canadian who went by jazzycat - to explaining the complexity of Like A Hurricane to me. Took me a few more listens and lessons (since I'm not a musician and he is) to really appreciate how brilliant the guitar work is in that song, but I finally got it. Now it's in my "best music" set on my all my devices.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Ah, memories...

Mith agrees with BB re Powderfinger.

Fuckin' Cobain's Ghost, who went on and on about how Neil was best from 1989 to 1996, and then started off his draft with four songs from the '70s.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Ah, memories...

Fuckin' Cobain's Ghost, who went on and on about how Neil was best from 1989 to 1996, and then started off his draft with four songs from the '70s.
        I found some great tunes that i had never heard from him in that draft.
        Ordinary People and Dangerbird top the list.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Ah, memories...

Clearly that was Cobain's strategy...I like his list the best.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Clearly that was Cobain's strategy...I like his list the best.
            As a big fan of Freedom/90's revival Neil, I agree!
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I found some great tunes that i had never heard from him in that draft.
              Ordinary People and Dangerbird top the list.
              My favourite draft.

Ordinary People story (FYI, this song is like 20 minutes long). I was working at home, and had the uninvited "pleasure" of my brother-in-laws for the day. He was annoyingly sitting next to my desk using one of my extra screens to follow bets he had running. For hours he sat there ... drinking cheap beer ... starring at the screen. I had this one song on repeat for the entire afternoon ... background music.

After like 3 hours he turns to me and says ... didn't you play this song earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                My favourite draft.

Ordinary People story (FYI, this song is like 20 minutes long). I was working at home, and had the uninvited "pleasure" of my brother-in-laws for the day. He was annoyingly sitting next to my desk using one of my extra screens to follow bets he had running. For hours he sat there ... drinking cheap beer ... starring at the screen. I had this one song on repeat for the entire afternoon ... background music.

After like 3 hours he turns to me and says ... didn't you play this song earlier?

That is now my favorite Neil Young song story.
                If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Is Powderfinger a story song.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    Is Powderfinger a story song.

J
                    I'm not sure if it's based on real life, but by technical definition it probably qualifies as a story song.

It actually goes back to 1969; its initial version was an After the Gold Rush outtake called "Big Waves".

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      As a big fan of Freedom/90's revival Neil, I agree!
                      I was certain he was gonna take Rockin' in the Free World in the 2nd and leave Down by the River for me. But no. I'm happy either way, but starting off my draft with Cortez/DBTR would have been epic.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's based on real life, but by technical definition it probably qualifies as a story song.

It actually goes back to 1969; its initial version was an After the Gold Rush outtake called "Big Waves".
                        I must have listened to the song 20 times before I realized that it's done from the grave. Part of the problem is that I couldn't parse out the words "face splashed in the sky."

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

rumours of his demise were greatly exaggerated ...

Neil Young’s secret site for Dec. 1 concert is Omemee, Ont.: report
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Songs that basically ripped off Cortez the Killer:

Comment

Working...
                            X