Idioms - Use 'em or Lose 'em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idioms - Use 'em or Lose 'em

This may be too odd or nit-picky for others to play, but I was reading something a while ago and it reminded me how many idiomatic expressions are being misused today in part because the objects from which they were derived are unknown to today's speakers. The example I saw was someone who said that someone, or it may have been something, "folded like a cheap suit". As many of you may recall, the expression is "folded like a cheap suitcase". In the really old days, super cheap luggage was mostly cardboard and would flatten out after it was well worn. It completely lost its structural rigidity, shape, and ability to stand. Nonetheless, if you google "...cheap suit", you will get tons of hits.

The expression was "all over him like a cheap suit" because there was no tailoring. Folding like a cheap suit makes no apparent sense.

Anyway, are there any other idioms you guys see used in which people seem to have forgotten what they were originally about?
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

I work with a bunch of idioms
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Tickets don't sell like hotcakes anymore

but is anything still the greatest thing since sliced bread?
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I use "strike while the iron is hot". I have to explain it to my students.

They don't grasp "flip a coin", either. They don't realize it's an idiom.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Usually hear "I could care less" when they mean the opposite.

Comment

today my 45 yr old spouse used "now we're cooking with gas!"

was she even born when that was a thing?
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
              This may be too odd or nit-picky for others to play, but I was reading something a while ago and it reminded me how many idiomatic expressions are being misused today in part because the objects from which they were derived are unknown to today's speakers. The example I saw was someone who said that someone, or it may have been something, "folded like a cheap suit". As many of you may recall, the expression is "folded like a cheap suitcase". In the really old days, super cheap luggage was mostly cardboard and would flatten out after it was well worn. It completely lost its structural rigidity, shape, and ability to stand. Nonetheless, if you google "...cheap suit", you will get tons of hits.

The expression was "all over him like a cheap suit" because there was no tailoring. Folding like a cheap suit makes no apparent sense.

Anyway, are there any other idioms you guys see used in which people seem to have forgotten what they were originally about?
              My favorite is when they mix them up. I've heard "You're giving me the raw end of the stick", a cross between a raw deal and the short end of the stick. Also "ghosts in the closet" as a combo of skeletons in the closet and ghosts in your past. At work I often hear people say "touch bases" which kills me because I think it should be singular "touch base". Maybe it's just me.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Tickets don't sell like hotcakes anymore

but is anything still the greatest thing since sliced bread?
                Oh, oh, I am pretty sure I have used the sliced bread quote in the last 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                  Usually hear "I could care less" when they mean the opposite.
                  I could care less, but it's really just not worth the effort.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I have a gas stove, and (along with what I assume is many others) have a gas grill.

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Are you just using this as an opportunity to remind everyone that you have a 45-year old spouse? If so, I say "well-played, sir!"

The saying originated in the mass movement from wood-burning ovens to gas a hundred years or so ago. It stuck around, but it seemed to come back when people started wanting gas stove-tops in their kitchens again. It didn't hurt that everyone was watching cooking shows where all the chefs cook on gas burners. I certainly like gas better.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Working...
                      X