Nostalgia or midlife crisis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    My midlife crisis/nostalga kick is that I'm about to run an old school D&D campaign for my kids and their friends, Village of Hommlet/Temple of Elemental Evil/Vault of the Drow for those of you for which that means anything, certainly gives me some stuff to work on when I'm bored. Tavern brawl meetup of course to kick things off!
    The Village of Hommlet was the scene of an epic battle that created a rift between my brother, his friends and me. Seriously a thief should not be able to read scrolls and create a simulacrum. It's just not right.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      The Village of Hommlet was the scene of an epic battle that created a rift between my brother, his friends and me. Seriously a thief should not be able to read scrolls and create a simulacrum. It's just not right.
      And don't get me started on the Dopplegangers and reincarnation...
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        My favorite memory from D&D:

A friend decided to run a game with about ten PCs. Many of us didn't really know the others initially, and we didn't share our character sheets in advance. So we meet up with "everyone is in an inn, and a bad guy poofs in and curses everyone in the inn and kills most of the NPCs, you better join up and get him!"

I was playing a gnome thief. I didn't tell anyone that I was actually a thief/illusionist. I stole a fairly minor magic item from a shop and planted it in the belongings of the most gullible-looking person in the party. I then went to the temple where we were going to meet up the next day and set up a Magic Mouth that told that person that he was the chosen of the gods, I was his emissary and he should listen to me, and his reward would be found in his bags.

It made the rest of the game pretty entertaining. The DM was good about not ratting me out and I was able to keep my spellcasting secret for quite a long time.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          me too! geesh, I gotta buy that whole set (it will be all 2017 players, of course, but in that design)
          dslaw, I bought some today. geesh, 9 cards for $2.99?

but damn, they are the spitting image. recall that the first series of that year had a slightly different border. so do some of these. the "Leaders" cards again list dozens of players on the back. even the inserts look the same (there was one modern "New Age" insert that just looks weird, but oh well). wow, just noticed that the All-Star card backs are puzzle pieces. forgot about that!

Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

dslaw, I bought some today. geesh, 8 cards for $2.99?

but damn, they are the spitting image. recall that the first series of that year had a slightly different border. so do some of these. the "Leaders" cards again list dozens of players on the back. even the inserts look the same (there was one modern "New Age" insert that just looks weird, but oh well). wow, just noticed that the All-Star card backs are puzzle pieces. forgot about that!

What year do they look like

Comment

now I remember that a pack that year was 5 cards for 5 cents, but the nice lady at Liggett's Drugstore gave us a free 6th pack if we came up with a quarter - which few of us 6 and 7 year olds could often muster.

a White Sox rookie whose autograph ends in "a" is LINE OUT in that card game insert.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Those are ugly. I first started with the low number black outline 1970 cards. Then I got a lot of 71s and 72s

Comment

now I remember that a pack that year was 5 cards for 5 cents, but the nice lady at Liggett's Drugstore gave us a free 6th pack if we came up with a quarter - which few of us 6 and 7 year olds could often muster.

a White Sox rookie whose autograph ends in "a" is LINE OUT in that card game insert.
                  I bought a box online, it comes with one original 1968 card in every box. I got Rick Monday. That will be worth a lot of $$. I remember a pack being 10 cents. VA charged sales tax starting at .15 so we would buy 1 pack three times so it cost .30 instead of .31. I think the store owner hated us. I like the League Leaders cards. The list is so long that some guy who hit 8 HRs can always say he was listed as a league leader that year.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                    I bought a box online, it comes with one original 1968 card in every box. I got Rick Monday. That will be worth a lot of $$. I remember a pack being 10 cents. VA charged sales tax starting at .15 so we would buy 1 pack three times so it cost .30 instead of .31. I think the store owner hated us. I like the League Leaders cards. The list is so long that some guy who hit 8 HRs can always say he was listed as a league leader that year.
                    I got the AL HR leaders. the fewest on the card now is 21 (!). I think you got hammered on the price. But inflation arrived by the next year, I think....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                    X