Major Mississippi flooding coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Mississippi flooding coming?

I don't know the credibility of this source, but it's an interesting article. And with all the flood troubles in Missouri right now, you've got to think that Mississippi and Louisiana have some tough days ahead.

"The Mississippi River, its tributaries swollen by snowmelt and stormwater, is rising toward a flood level that could equal or exceed anything in its recorded history."

Meteorologist Jeff Masters is a good source for stuff like this:

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Good links. Quote from the 2nd one:

"Record 100+ year flood expected on Mississippi River
      Snow melt from this winter's record snow pack across the Upper Mississippi River has formed a pulse of flood waters that is moving downstream on the Mississippi, and is currently located in Iowa. When this floodwater pulse moves south of Cairo, Illinois over the next two weeks, it will join with the record water flow coming out of the Ohio River, and create the highest flood heights ever recorded on the Mississippi, according to the latest forecasts from the National Weather Service. Along a 400-mile stretch of the Mississippi, from Cairo to Natchez, Mississippi the Mississippi is expected to experience the highest flood heights since records began 100 or more years ago, at 5 of the 10 gauges on the river along this stretch. The records are predicted to begin to fall on May 3 at New Madrid, and progress downstream to Natchez by May 20. Areas that are not protected by levees can expect extensive damage from the flooding, and it is possible that the Army Corps of Engineers will have to intentionally dynamite a levee at Birds Point and New Madrid, Missouri to protect the town of Cairo from flooding."

A little old, obviously, as they did blow that levee already.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          Love that guy's stuff-- he's a must read during hurricane season.
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
            Love that guy's stuff-- he's a must read during hurricane season.
            Yep, Jeff is the absolute best

Comment

"The records are predicted to begin to fall on May 3 at New Madrid, and progress downstream to Natchez by May 20."

The rapture is supposed to begin on May 21st according to that Family Radio dude, so maybe this flooding is just the start. Good thing I've been building that ark.

Comment

Working...
              X