Windmill Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windmill Blades

My office is near the terminus of a commuter railway (electric), and just beyond it is a stretch of a fairly short rail line. Just then, as I was walking by a window, I saw a train passing. All of the flatcars, and there were a lot of them, were carrying windmill blades made for the production of electricity. Setting aside the obvious poetic juxtapositions and irony, it was a pretty impressive sight. I don't know how much of a role wind will play in our future energy supply, but I know that solar and wind have been growing fast in some parts of the country. I read something the other day about Tesla's huge plant out west that was pretty interesting in this regard.

Anyway, a slow afternoon.
    Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 02-02-2017, 06:16 PM.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

There's a wind turbine in my town. It was actually out of commission for a good six months because some tiny part broke and there was a fight over who was responsible for it. It's back up and running now, however.

Comment

Yeah, I should have said turbine. Windmill sounds like a kid's toy or something out behind an old farmhouse.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

And this one towers over my boys' LL field. It's incredibly imposing!

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
          Yeah, I should have said turbine. Windmill sounds like a kid's toy or something out behind an old farmhouse.
          Are you the little boy who stuck his thumb in the dike?

If you drive on I-65 between Indianapolis and Gary you will come to a point where you will see hundreds of these turbines, on both sides of the road. My wife and I call it the wind farm, as they are in what appears to be nothing but farmland. It's an amazing site, and one I wish would be duplicated across the country. That and solar farms and other clean energy sources.

It's cool you got to see that. I saw a few on the back of some trucks once. It looked like for one turbine, but they were stupid long.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

If you head east on I-10 from SoCal, you'll see the largest wind farms in the nation. I've done that drive a few times and it's always impressive.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

This is a big deal in Texas, where the wind blows constantly. It's very impressive to drive past. One irony is that there is a big wind farm is next door to the Alon refinery at Big Spring, literally within eyesight.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                This is a big deal in Texas, where the wind blows constantly. It's very impressive to drive past. One irony is that there is a big wind farm is next door to the Alon refinery at Big Spring, literally within eyesight.
                I drove my family from Dallas to Colorado during summer of 2015. We drove into Amarillo at night. It was an odd sight to see all red lights out in the distance east of the city and not know what they were. We drove back through during the day and got to see all the turbines. I counted hundreds of them out in a field. It was impressive to see.

Comment

Denton's city-owned electric utility (DME) gets 40% of its power from wind. Texas triples the wind capacity of the next closest state. (No Louie Gohmert jokes, please.)

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

Actually that's a coincidence. Irony would be if the refinery were powered by the wind farm.
                    Last edited by ; 02-28-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Actually that's a coincidence. Irony would be if the refinery were powered by the wind farm.
                      I thought irony was like rain on your wedding day.

Comment

No. Rain on your wedding cake.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                        X