Goose Egg...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goose Egg...

Our family was talking about eggs the other day. We wondered why we never see other eggs than chicken.

Turns out Turkey eggs are worth much more as turkeys. Geese do not lay that many eggs, cost is a big factor. I made the comment that I would like to try some different types of eggs.

My daughters boyfriend brought me a goose egg. It is about 3 times the size of a chicken egg.

When I cracked it open I was surprised to see a monster yoke with very limited egg white. I prefer my eggs over easy, but this giant freaked me out a bit. I decided to scramble it. It was not gamey at all. It was not that much different than chicken eggs, maybe a bit "richer." I would not hesitate to eat them again, but I would also not pay more than chicken eggs just to have them.

I am going to ask said boyfriend if he can arrange to get me one more. This time I will try it over easy. There will be a lot of yoke to dip the toast in. I wonder if cooked that way I will notice a bigger difference in taste compared to chicken eggs.

Any one else tried goose eggs or any other kinds for that matter?

I've had duck eggs & quail eggs. Similar comment re: a bit richer, but not dramatically different.

Here are some interested egg facts from the Food Animal Education Network:

50 billion
    Number of eggs produced each year in the United States

8 billion
    Number of chickens consumed in the United States each year

Average number of eggs produced by one hen in 1960

Average number of eggs produced by one hen in 2009

Days required for chicks to hatch from eggs

Days required for ducks and turkeys to hatch for eggs

Weeks at which chickens start laying eggs

pounds of feed required to produce 12 eggs

Number of times a hen will turn her egg per each day to keep the yolk from sticking to the side

White
    Usual color of ear lobes on chickens that produce white eggs

Red
    Usual color of ear lobes on chickens that produce brown eggs

Number of nutritional differences between white and brown shelled eggs

Turkey
    Only poultry breed native to the Western Hemisphere

45 million
    Number of turkeys eaten each year over Thanksgiving in the United States
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Haven't tried them, they're pretty expensive, but Whole Foods here sometimes has emu or ostrich eggs. One ostrich egg is 3-5 pounds.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Hey, I know this one. Goose eggs taste good, but they are a cholesterol bomb. Six or seven times as much as a chicken egg, tons more than your daily recommended amount.

We used to eat duck eggs. Richer than chicken eggs in most every way. Still a lot of cholesterol, but not like the goose egg.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I knew a guy that raised ostriches and emus. An ostrich egg is about the same as a dozen and half hen eggs. They are almost always scrambled in the shell then poured out, generally with only two small holes. Scrambled ostrich eggs taste a lot like scrambled duck eggs.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
          X