Trump Moments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Moments...

I really struggled to find a forum to put this in, and it really doesn't fit anywhere, so I'm starting this for now and the future. Actions by Trump that literally make you go, "What the Fuck"? So it's kind of a broad umbrella, for good and bad. Some days he's going to do something where you think, WTF, I didn't realize that he had that critical thinking ability, good for him! Other days, well...not so much.

Today he decided that he needed to speak with the President of Taiwan...something no US president has done for decades. Essentially since Nixon visited China and we broke diplomatic relations with the country in the late 70's. Why is this little gesture anything to worry about? Well, because China considers Taiwan to be a province, and it's likely to set off a hornets nest in the Far East...

Quite the feat for a guy who doesn't take office for more than a month...
    Last edited by Hornsby; 12-02-2016, 08:46 PM.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

and right after he spoke so glowingly about Pakistan also.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I really struggled to find a forum to put this in, and it really doesn't fit anywhere, so I'm starting this for now and the future.
      You still think there's a future. Well that's something to build on.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        and right after he spoke so glowingly about Pakistan also.
        .....where he called them "a very intelligent people." Like he knows any Pakistanis outside of his IT department, which is probably what his comment was based on.

Anyhow, the NY Times had an article about how he hasn't even spoken with the State Department about any information on any country. They're supposed to brief him and set up the calls, and he's basically winging it. Cripes, these other countries must think they're going to run right over us with this amateur in office.

Comment

Taiwan call could be ignorance. Or could be part of the conflict of interest situation, Trump has building projects, luxury hotels in various development stages in Taiwan. Trump has unprecedented access to personally enrich himself now that he is taking the big chair, and has already made millions from just the tiny bit we know about his situation.

We know from past comments that Trump has millions in Goldman Sachs stock. He has hired Goldman Sachs people to fill positions, and now stock is at an 8 year high, with stock chart lining up exactly with the position appointments. Something like Standing Rock, Trump said he supports the pipeline operation to go forward, and has acted as if there is no giant protest on that ground with thousands of people freezing to try to protect the native land and waterway. If Trump had released his tax returns, we could discern his ownership interest in the pipeline companies, and if his push to plow through with project would enrich himself.

But we dont know exactly what he owns there. He has made the absurd "sacrifice" of saying he would hand over his operations to his kids, which of course does nothing. If he still owns all this, he is still personally increasing his wealth, from say going forward with pipeline project, or hiring GS staff, or breaking with decades old carefully handled China relations, who view Taiwan as a province of their country, and not an independent nation, and simply getting on a call with President of Taiwan to ease his projects there. One man, who has been consistent his entire life in enriching himself at expense of others, be it contractors he has stiffed over decades, and had thousands of lawsuits against him, now is in a position of continuing his lifes work and simply managing country as he sees fit that would increase his wealth.

He would need to divest from his investments and properties, and have a true blind trust, as every single other President has done who had wealth, in order to avoid conflict of interest. But more important, in span of 48 hours, Trump has made errors re communicating with: Taiwan, Philipines, Pakistan. You know what, this is making me ill. I am going to step away.

Comment

Re-establishing diplomatic relations and recognition of Taiwan is far, far overdue. The South China Sea will be the fulcrum of much of, if not all, of the action in Asia in the next couple of decades, and we will need every ally we can get against China.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Re-establishing diplomatic relations and recognition of Taiwan is far, far overdue. The South China Sea will be the fulcrum of much of, if not all, of the action in Asia in the next couple of decades, and we will need every ally we can get against China.
              We have far too much invested in being close to China to mess it up with a cowboy phone call. China is actually being the adult here, and saying that it was a trick by Taiwan on the new guy...except that it looks to be Trump and cronies who initiated the call to gain some leverage in possible business deals.

Maybe if Trump wants to do something to cement relations in the south China Sea, he should look at the TPP and find out WHY it took years to negotiate, and why it's important. He can re-negotiate parts of it...but it's FAR more than a simple trade agreement.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

for a while there the weekend WSJ seemed obsessed with what will happen in China. mostly how or if the communist party will lose power. and you have 2 democracies Hong Kong and Taiwan. i read once that the no major world power has gone to war with another in decades. i think that's how it's suppose to be. they get big or more secure and such. recently i think Taiwan agreed to a one China policy. so it helps that they weren't butting heads at the moment. also, you ever notice how bored the president of China always looks?

i read Queen Elizabeth II got pissed off at the chinese when they visited her not too long ago, saying they were rude, heh. i don't know, we need their help with North Korea.

i've read a couple of news articles of what would happen militarily if they invaded it. i got the impression that there's not much anyone could do about it.

Comment

Now appearing on the Army Navy broadcast

Comment

he just wants to BE president - a "winner" - but has no interest in the job of president

http://time.com/4597376/donald-trump...lflow_facebook

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      he just wants to BE president - a "winner" - but has no interest in the job of president

http://time.com/4597376/donald-trump...lflow_facebook
                      I'm about to fly to Ireland and Spain, and I never thought I'd be more embarrassed travelling internationally than I was during Bush Jr....
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

And Donnie continues to make friends and influence people...China responds to the "I can negotiate anything" stance that Trump has through a party newspaper.

Hours after the interview aired, China's Communist Party-controlled Global Times published a Chinese-language editorial headlined: "Trump, please listen clearly: 'One China' cannot be traded."

"China needs to launch a resolute struggle with him," the editorial said. "Only after he's hit some obstacles and truly understands that China and the rest of the world are not to be bullied will he gain some perception."

"Many people might be surprised at how the new U.S. leader is truly a 'businessman' through-and-through," the paper said, referring to Trump's suggestion of using the one-China policy as a bargaining chip. "But in the field of diplomacy, he is as ignorant as a child."

The Global Times, which is published by the party mouthpiece People's Daily, often runs commentaries that target nationalistic sentiment with provocative language.

Chinese officials have been more restrained so far. They may be still trying to learn how to make their positions clear to Trump without feeding a vicious cycle of insults and heightened tensions, said Dali Yang, a political science professor at the University of Chicago.

However, Trump's suggestion that he could negotiate on Taiwan likely went too far for China, Yang said.

"He expected for China to bargain again for the one-China position, perhaps by giving up something on trade or something of that nature," Yang said. "This is actually the foundation of the U.S.-China relationship, rather than something to be bargained over."

Oh yeah, the Chinese also flew a long range Nuclear bomber over disputed territories in the South China sea as a message to Trump.

Well done Donald, only roughly 5 weeks before you get inaugurated! Lets see if you can avoid another international incident before then, 'K?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I think I know what the problem is, they are taking him literally when they really should be taking him seriously.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            I think I know what the problem is, they are taking him literally when they really should be taking him seriously.
                            Maybe he has a public position and a private position. I've been told that is an acceptable way to govern.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                              Maybe he has a public position and a private position. I've been told that is an acceptable way to govern.
                              Well it has been for all of humanity, but you take exception with somebody admitting it. So Facebook..........

Comment

Working...
                              X