Going Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Forward

Now that it's happened. We are entering into a new age where you will HAVE to become active in the process of Government.

We can allow Trump to destroy the things you value or you can do whatever it takes to stop him. No more sitting around doing nothing.

Petitions, activism, protests, becoming a party member/officer, running for office.

We'll have to do more than argue and vote.

I'm sure some of us have, but the majority of the Nation hasn't--Until now.

Protests in the street already. All over the country.

The day was strangely silent when we were out and about and even on FB and the rest of the Net, there's been a hush.

I've already started a simple plan to allow myself time to actually, hopefully become an agent for positive change in our country. I won't be running for office, but I do plan to get out there and be a part of protests/activism to include writing and possibly filming/producing short documentaries on the pressing issues we're certain to face.

Thanks for allowing me my moment of I told you so, I hope I wasn't too much of a dick.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Does Trump have a plan to destroy anything except the ACA? Enforcing immigration laws is hardly destructive. He wants to spend a lot on infrastructure which many here can support. Generally speaking, he is going to be almost as much at odds with the Republican right wing as Obama was.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Does Trump have a plan to destroy anything except the ACA? Enforcing immigration laws is hardly destructive. He wants to spend a lot on infrastructure which many here can support. Generally speaking, he is going to be almost as much at odds with the Republican right wing as Obama was.

J
      Thing is, we really dont know what he's actually going to do--Only what the Rhetoric he used to get elected intimates.

If he follows through on some of these issues, you can bet there will be backlash.

The following groups feel under siege right now, whether it's real remains to be seen:

LGBT
      Non White
      Non Christians
      Muslims
      The Poor
      Women

That's a substantial portion of the population and remember, Trump won the Electoral vote--Not the Popular vote so he's already starting with more than half of those who voted against him.

Google Trump Protests, several are occurring as I post this--From one side of the country to the other. You can bet, these are just the start.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        That's a substantial portion of the population and remember, Trump won the Electoral vote--Not the Popular vote so he's already starting with more than half of those who voted against him.
        It's not as if a President hasn't received a majority of the votes before. It's overblown nonsense to say someone didn't get a majority of votes.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I hope there is a way forward to constructive discussion - both here, and more importantly, on the national level.

I don't know what is next, but "Going Forward" is a great thread title.

what's done is done, and Trump, Ryan, Hillary, and Obama all hit just the right notes in the aftermath.

maybe it's a start. either side looking to reopen old wounds - I don't see the point, certainly not before either side's leaders have done so.

let's leave pre-Election Night discussions in that thread, and anything from today on here. it might look the same in 24 hours, or maybe it doesn't.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            It's not as if a President hasn't received a majority of the votes before. It's overblown nonsense to say someone didn't get a majority of votes.
            I was using that to illustrate numbers, not as commentary on the legitimacy of his election. Sorry if I din't communicate that well.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

J
              I believe he wants to cut the Department of Education, at least. And it sounds like he wants to appoint a climate change denier to some very senior energy role.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                I hope there is a way forward to constructive discussion - both here, and more importantly, on the national level.

I don't know what is next, but "Going Forward" is a great thread title.

what's done is done, and Trump, Ryan, Hillary, and Obama all hit just the right notes in the aftermath.

maybe it's a start. either side looking to reopen old wounds - I don't see the point, certainly not before either side's leaders have done so.

let's leave pre-Election Night discussions in that thread, and anything from today on here. it might look the same in 24 hours, or maybe it doesn't.
                I am no fan of Hillary Clinton, but her speech was absolutely amazing yesterday. I can't begin to imagine how much it stung losing when pretty much everyone thought you were going to win and then to have to get up a make a concession speech to a guy you completely loathe...unbelievably difficult. She kept it together so well and hit exactly the right notes. Good on her and good for the country. Nice follow up by President Obama as well.

Comment

J
                  Trump posted his 100 day plan on his website:

Remove ACA, term limits, hiring freeze on government agencies, open drilling/fracking in federal lands, rip up some trade deals, cancel UN money, cancel sanctuary city funding, modify tax code, school choice, etc.

His likely EPA appointment does not believe in human caused climate issues. He mentioned reducing the FDA and EPA agencies too.

Probably the majority of those items are things the Republican party was been trying their hardest to get for the last eight years and will now be able to. I would imagine that Trump can negotiate some of the things he wants in exchange if he truly wants to fulfill his promises to his base.

Comment

Of all the issues related to a Trump presidency, here are my top 5 concerns:

1. His policies and appointment are likely to negatively impact the environment not only now, but long after he is gone.
                    2. His policies on education, including cuts, and favoring vouchers, are likely to further widen the educational inequality in this country.
                    3. His promises to appoint Scalia clones to the SC has me very concerned about the social progress we have made in this country.
                    4. His attitude toward minorities, and his view of our country as needing to bring them under control, or arrest them, or deport them, make me fear he will enact policies of disenfranchisement, deportation, and manipulation of immigration, that will have the effect of prolonging the sustainability of a Republican party that can survive and thrive relying primarily on white, uneducated voters.
                    5. His dismissive attitude toward science, logic, and reasoning concern me as he makes critical decisions about our country and its people.
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 11-10-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Obama said he will do everything he can to help the New York businessman succeed when he takes office on Jan. 20 and urged the country to unite to face its challenges.

"My number-one priority in the coming two months is to try to facilitate a transition that ensures our president-elect is successful," Obama said at the end of the meeting.

We should follow the President's lead.

Comment

It would make me feel a hell of a lot better if Trump would make a public statement telling people to stop committing violent racist acts in his name.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          It would make me feel a hell of a lot better if Trump would make a public statement telling people to stop committing violent racist acts in his name.
                          That would be nice, but why can't we stop these incidents ourselves?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

There is violence coming from both sides... why is it that we cant come to agreement about this. Neither side has clean hands.
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                              There is violence coming from both sides... why is it that we cant come to agreement about this. Neither side has clean hands.
                              Absolutely, but now is the time to stand up for what you believe in and to STOP being a disapproving bystander.

You see someone badgering someone because of their race/faith/gender etc, stop them--Get in their faces, take pictures, start a website that outs the haters.

You see a business practicing bigoted policies, boycott them, protest them again start a website outting them for what they are.

USE the things at your disposal to counter the haters.

Yes there will be violence, but it's been a long time coming and now that the dipshits have crawled from under their rocks, we'll know who they are and let them hear the true voice of America.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X