Good Guy with a Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Guy with a Gun

So, I was chatting with a coworker who is a big second amendment guy. Owns several guns and has a cc permit. He always carries even in gun free zones.

I found his take on what he'd do in response to a bad guy with a Gun very surprising. He said he would leave to avoid being shot and only engage if trapped and attacked. He will then only protect himself.

If you had a Gun and found yourself in the vicinity of an active shooter, how would you respond?

Cap him in the knee - if I owned the gun and carried a permit.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Ah the hollywood response.
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Ahh - the truth..

Of course - I dont own a gun and dont carry a permit.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
          So, I was chatting with a coworker who is a big second amendment guy. Owns several guns and has a cc permit. He always carries even in gun free zones.

I found his take on what he'd do in response to a bad guy with a Gun very surprising. He said he would leave to avoid being shot and only engage if trapped and attacked. He will then only protect himself.

If you had a Gun and found yourself in the vicinity of an active shooter, how would you respond?
          It depends on the setting. In a densely populated urban setting, I would be less likely to engage.

Comment

I think most people would get themselves to safety. A lot of 2nd amendment tough guys like to think they'd confront the shooter, but in the actual situation, their survival instincts would trump their superhero fantasies.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              I think most people would get themselves to safety. A lot of 2nd amendment tough guys like to think they'd confront the shooter, but in the actual situation, their survival instincts would trump their superhero fantasies.

I'm pretty sure if my family were there I'd default to getting them all to safety. I am equally as certain I'd suffer delusions of John Wayne and wade in as I have in other situations without being armed.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I've never had, or even seen, a gun in person. I won't be much help.

Comment

Any good shooter, and ALL cops, will tell you that's a virtually impossible shot to make. As Piney said, a Hollywood myth. That's why they always teach you to shoot for the center mass, right in the chest. Harder to miss if you're really trying to bring your target down.

And nothing surprising at all about Doig's co-worker, that's exactly what they train you to do. I took the class, and what you do is to loudly warn the intruder, while retreating. Tell him/her that you've got a gun, and are prepared to use it. hopefully have already called 911, or have someone doing so. ONLY shoot in the case of potential bodily harm. It's as much a thing to avoid prosecution as to avoid a potential lawsuit.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    I'm pretty sure if my family were there I'd default to getting them all to safety. I am equally as certain I'd suffer delusions of John Wayne and wade in as I have in other situations without being armed.
                    I agree with this.

If I was with my family, I would try to get them to safety. That might mean shooting the bad guy to do so.

If I was without my family and the bad guy was actually shooting at people, I believe I would attempt to shoot him. I would be aiming for for the trunk of his body/chest.

Comment

It seems pretty unanimous that we would either protect our family, ourselves or retreat in most active shooter situations

I'd be interested in hearing if you think our choice of action pokes holes in the Good guy with a Gun theory being used by anti gun control supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                        It seems pretty unanimous that we would either protect our family, ourselves or retreat in most active shooter situations

I'd be interested in hearing if you think our choice of action pokes holes in the Good guy with a Gun theory being used by anti gun control supporters.
                        I didn't read it that way. I read it we would retreat to protect our family. We would shoot the bad guy if we were without our families. That happens to be what I "think" I would do.

Comment

I dont own a gun - and never have.

When I was robbed at gunpoint while employed at a local bank as a supervisor the robber put his gun down and walked about 10 feet away from me and where his gun was. I had an opportunity to grab the gun - the thought went through my mind - my work training told me not to so I didnt.

I have not fired a gun since I was at a friends house shooting a rifle.

I have had a gun put in my face - it is very unsettling and to be honest I hope it never happens again. Why havent I purchased a gun? Well I just havent had the expendable cash to do it right - go through gun safety training - shooting range and what not. If I had the money I would be doing it....

Comment

I dont own a gun - and never have.

When I was robbed at gunpoint while employed at a local bank as a supervisor the robber put his gun down and walked about 10 feet away from me and where his gun was. I had an opportunity to grab the gun - the thought went through my mind - my work training told me not to so I didnt.

I have not fired a gun since I was at a friends house shooting a rifle.

I have had a gun put in my face - it is very unsettling and to be honest I hope it never happens again. Why havent I purchased a gun? Well I just havent had the expendable cash to do it right - go through gun safety training - shooting range and what not. If I had the money I would be doing it....
                            I wasn't there, but if given the chance, I'd think that I would grab the gun if only to make sure they couldn't use it on me (given that I thought I could get it without a struggle). Maybe I'm just not getting the scenario
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              I wasn't there, but if given the chance, I'd think that I would grab the gun if only to make sure they couldn't use it on me (given that I thought I could get it without a struggle). Maybe I'm just not getting the scenario
                              Gun 3 ft from me - robber 15 feet away.... The thought that went through my head was, I dont know if it is loaded or not and picking it up could be a lure for much worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X