X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida RJers

Floridians Told 'This Storm Will Kill You'
    By REUTERS | Oct. 6, 2016 | 0:55

Gov. Rick Scott of Florida told residents that "there are no excuses, you need to leave," saying that time was running out and millions of people on the East Coast would lose power.

This seems pretty dire.

What parts are being evacuated?

I'm from Florida originally, and all my family is down there. Looks like the main concern is for West Palm Beach on up the eastern coastline. My peeps in Broward on down close to Dade don't see all that worried about it, although my grandma's asstisted living facility is making the residents stay away from windows and have stocked up on supplies. A friend in West Palm Beach plans to go to work tomorrow morning, despite being close to the coast, and being pregnant. Not sure if everyone is just jaded down there, or if they are getting different news.

Comment

This sounds like a bonanza for looters and professional thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMan View Post
        This sounds like a bonanza for looters and professional thieves.
        So far, it seems to be a bonanza for businesses price gouging. $10 a gallon gas. It is a illegal, but I guess they figure they can get away with it.

Comment

buddy of mine has a place in Jupiter. I've been there; you can see the ocean from the second floor and he is about a 4-minute walk to the ocean, across A1A.
          they evacuated this morning.....

update: full force may hit just north of Jupiter. NBC guy makes a fair point that the hurricane's move north of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc avoids the worst-case scenario and could save billions in property damage, as anything south of Jupiter is heavily-populated and it thins out a bit a little north of there.

no avoiding a massive hit at this point, though, it appears. just avoiding worst case and settling for bad case
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-06-2016, 07:17 PM.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

wow, this is a real thing.

Waffle House Index

The Waffle House Index is an informal metric used by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine the impact of a storm and the likely scale of assistance required for disaster recovery. The measure is based on the reputation of the Waffle House restaurant chain for staying open during extreme weather and for reopening quickly, albeit sometimes with a limited menu, after very severe weather events such as tornadoes or hurricanes.

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              wow, this is a real thing.

Waffle House Index

Comment

the late wiggle east really helped out. My Orlando friends said it wasn't as bad as the 04 storms & just about all of them have power. I'm concerned about Jacksonville as it's low-lying & they're going to get a bunch of surge

Comment

Apparently it wasn't that bad. The gov't was just lying about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X