Music Junkies...Stone Temple Pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Eh, I don't see much dreck on this list. Probably just Jimmy Buffett. Even the bands I don't care for made some quality music. It was just quality music I that didn't happen to like.

The true dreck period came in the 80's, when every washed up/ failed rocker sold their souls to get on VH-1. The gloopy, formulaic schmaltz of that era was thoroughly unlistenable. Peter Cetera, Michael Bolton, Phil Collins, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams... ugh, just an endless death march of horrific, nut-shrinking power ballads. Listen to that crap for an hour, and you'll be begging for the Doobies and Stone Temple Pilots.
    IMO, 1984 is the year when something changed in pop music, and I made the switch that year from Top 40 stations to Classic Rock and Oldies. I think '84 was the turning point and the year when many of the artists you mentioned rose to prominence (either for the first time, or for others, again). I'd add Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Tina Turner and many others to your list too.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      IMO, 1984 is the year when something changed in pop music, and I made the switch that year from Top 40 stations to Classic Rock and Oldies. I think '84 was the turning point and the year when many of the artists you mentioned rose to prominence (either for the first time, or for others, again). I'd add Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Tina Turner and many others to your list too.
      That was roughly when it started, but what kicked it into overdrive was the launch of VH-1 on January 1, 1985. They branded themselves as the music channel for the mothers of MTV kids. They were an adult contemporary juggernaut, and their mom-friendly vortex sucked in a host of fading artists who had lost their audiences, and were willing to flush their artistic credibility down the toilet for a seat on the pop ballad gravy train. It was quite a spectacle seeing former rockers completely shedding their dignity and crooning artless schlock to love-starved housewives, who lapped it up like kittens.

It was an era of popular music that will live in infamy...
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Just a word on behalf of my man, Jimmy Buffett. I could not abide him after the fins/sharks/whatever, but I truly believe that A1A (1974) and Changes/Changes (1977) were the best two out of his 130+ albums, and were also two of the better albums from the 70s.

When I first saw him, and he was on the road without a band because there wasn't any money for a band, he was wonderful. Still one of the best I have seen. Not a chucklehead in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          Just a word on behalf of my man, Jimmy Buffett. I could not abide him after the fins/sharks/whatever, but I truly believe that A1A (1974) and Changes/Changes (1977) were the best two out of his 130+ albums, and were also two of the better albums from the 70s.

When I first saw him, and he was on the road without a band because there wasn't any money for a band, he was wonderful. Still one of the best I have seen. Not a chucklehead in the room.
          yes but those albums were 40 years ago - and he is ...

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
            yes but those albums were 40 years ago - and he is ...
            Apparently, playing 20-30 nights a year and knocking down around $35 million from all of his damned parrot head restaurants and merch. Jeez.

Comment

Apparently, playing 20-30 nights a year and knocking down around $35 million from all of his damned parrot head restaurants and merch. Jeez.
              Jimmy Buffett has to be the greatest rock n'roll marketer of all time. He basically had one Top 40 hit and started an empire.

Comment

Addressing sheep, primarily (and I was going to say this before I read his post), you can't really call a band "great" when their two signature songs are virtually indistinguishable from Soundgarden. NTTAWWT...that was their sound...it's just that you can't claim to be great if you are doing what every other Tom, Dick and Eddie are doing.

I agree with sheep on Chicago for the most part. Kath was the heart and soul of the band, but his influence started waning long before his death. You can hear him strongly on the first three studio albums and the two live releases, not so much on Chicago V. Peter Cetera was an absolute monster bass player, but a band killer when it came to being the prime influence, even when he wasn't writing. He may have made them successful, but he also made them suck, like when Kevin Cronin came back to REO. Well, they sucked pretty bad anyway, but he made it worse. Cronin the Destroyer.

Comment

Jimmy Buffett has to be the greatest rock n'roll marketer of all time. He basically had one Top 40 hit and started an empire.
                  And you can't imagine how much I hate playing that effing song. But no matter where you go, some guy is going to be pissed off if you don't play it for his girlfriend because she is drinking margaritas. (The other one is Sweet Home Alabama, which I simply refuse to play.)

So, is Buffett "great" because he made a kazillion dollars from the songs he wrote, performed and recorded?

Comment

Gene Simmons is up there with him. KISS COFFINS!!
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Gene Simmons is up there with him. KISS COFFINS!!
                      He is, but KISS has a great library of music. Buffett started an empire with one song! I even own a Margaritaville blender (retail $299)!!

Comment

I view them as a solid if unspectacular band.
                        OMG I agree with Mith on something. WTFBBQ?
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Bullshit. The Eagles were solid.
                          The first two albums are quite good. The third is pretty good. One of These Nights has some high peaks but is inconsistent. Hotel California and The Long Run are mostly dreck. They got worse as they got more popular. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            I prefer to define worst bands
                            And it is a formula
                            Amount of crappyness multiplied by years of successful career
                            So a lousy band for a few years gets beaten by a long term mediocre band
                            And STP is neither great not junk (if that is what you really want to know)
                            The winner is Nickelback, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              OMG I agree with Mith on something. WTFBBQ?
                              Bout time you wised up!
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Addressing sheep, primarily (and I was going to say this before I read his post), you can't really call a band "great" when their two signature songs are virtually indistinguishable from Soundgarden. NTTAWWT...that was their sound...it's just that you can't claim to be great if you are doing what every other Tom, Dick and Eddie are doing.
                                I didn't.

Originally posted by senorsheep
                                "Great" is probably generous. I rate them as a solid band who made a one great album, and a couple of very good ones.
                                But surely we can agree on this - Eric Clapton can only dream of making a solo album as good as Purple.
                                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                                X