Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West coast visit

Hey all,

San Fran is on the bucket list. Giants game and Alcatraz tour would be the must-sees. Is there more to do, or would a couple days in Vegas on the way back make sense?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
    Hey all,

San Fran is on the bucket list. Giants game and Alcatraz tour would be the must-sees. Is there more to do, or would a couple days in Vegas on the way back make sense?
    Did you make it to the WSOP?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
      Hey all,

The obvious touristy things are those plus Lombard Street, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, the Haight, and Union Square. You might also like going up to wine country (Napa/Sonoma) or going to fancy restaurants or museums. What other kinds of things do you like?
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

If you've never been to Vegas then definitely factor it into your planning.

San Fran doesn't have a ton of tourist stuff so unless you want to do Pier 39 slash Fisherman's Wharf or any of the other usual things I'd move on.

Comment

L
          Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          If you've never been to Vegas then definitely factor it into your planning.

San Fran doesn't have a ton of tourist stuff so unless you want to do Pier 39 slash Fisherman's Wharf or any of the other usual things I'd move on.
          Wait, what? definitely blow off fisherman's wharf and pier 39, but SF is an awesome city to be a tourist in, what kind of stuff do you want to do? Alcatraz is sweet, but SF is great for just walking around.
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

hey, I spent a week in San Fran in Jan ... I suppose it all depends on what you're interested in. There are a lot of the "usual things" that are pretty cool for people who haven't been before ... we rented bikes & went across the Golden Gate to Sausalito, spent a day in wine country, had dinner with mjl & heye downtown & spent an afternoon drinking with Fresno Bob in the mission district, spent a day shopping in the Hayes Valley area and walking around Haigt-Ashbury) ... and we didn't even get to Oakland or Berkeley or the Pacific. We had no trouble finding things to do.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              The obvious touristy things are those plus Lombard Street, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, the Haight, and Union Square. You might also like going up to wine country (Napa/Sonoma) or going to fancy restaurants or museums. What other kinds of things do you like?
              Ah yes, the Bridge! Add it to my list.

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              hey, I spent a week in San Fran in Jan ... I suppose it all depends on what you're interested in. There are a lot of the "usual things" that are pretty cool for people who haven't been before ... we rented bikes & went across the Golden Gate to Sausalito, spent a day in wine country, had dinner with mjl & heye downtown & spent an afternoon drinking with Fresno Bob in the mission district, spent a day shopping in the Hayes Valley area and walking around Haigt-Ashbury) ... and we didn't even get to Oakland or Berkeley or the Pacific. We had no trouble finding things to do.
              I love to travel to see baseball games and didn't realize Oakland was so close. I've been to Vegas 4X so maybe that's a separate trip another time. I like walking around and trying different foods so it sounds like I could pass the time in SF/Oakland. I could also see about meeting up with some of the junkies there.

Comment

Comment

I booked San Fran from Aug 13-17 and Vegas from 17-19. Staying at Aria. Anyone up for a coffee or beer?

Comment

Definitely, I wok at the Aria so it'll be easy to meet. Check your PMs
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

When do you get in on the 13th, I've got Giants tickets that night
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                      X