Old-timey baseball in SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-timey baseball in SF

Come out to a game sometime! There's about two months left in the season. Small sample size but I have transformed into late-career pudgy-but-competent Tony Gwynn; after setting a league record by going 7 for 7 in our last game.

Magazine shoot - that's me in the Berkeley uniform.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Cool!

Comment

Very nice.

That's not vintage catching equipment, though, is it? Concession for safety?
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

oh hey, I missed the responses. The catching equipment is closer to 1910 vintage; we had too many catchers breaking thumbs and we wanted to have the throat guard. The catcher's padding is still pretty weak though.

The league championship game and the all-star game, which I am rather implausibly playing in, are August 28th in Golden Gate Park. My wife will be singing the old-timey National Anthem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Mt2Oty-KE) and I'll buy you a hot dog.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Sweet!

My cousin has played in a league like this in Canton for years....cool stuff!

Comment

This is great! I will be in town from the 13-17 but want to catch the A's game on the 14th.

Man up and play every day!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Our last regular season game was a forfeit victory. My final line:

PA 47
              AB 44
              H 25 (23 singles, 2 doubles)
              R 13
              RBI 12
              SB 11
              K 3
              BB 2
              SAC 1
              .568/.574/.614

average for our team was .450/.463/.540. I led the team in SB, T-2nd in RBI, 3rd in all of the triple-slash categories. Also I was a godawful fielder.

There are games on the 14th but it's the first round of the postseason tournament and our team has a bye. Our remaining schedule is the 21st vs a team that beat us by one run in the last inning both games, then the winner gets destroyed by the undefeated team on the 27th, and then the championship and the ASG on the 28th.

Comment

We won our first playoff game decisively. I was 2 for 4, though both of those hits are pretty generous - one I should have been out 9-3 with a good throw and the other was a bunt that the catcher rushed his throw on and the first baseman couldn't get it. I'll be playing Saturday at 12pm and Sunday at 3:30. And maybe Sunday at 12:30 if something improbable happens.

also I am playing with a sprained UCL but it's in my glove hand and I've never been an all-anything so I'm finishing the season.
                Last edited by mjl; 08-23-2016, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Well done. Good luck this weekend. Keep us posted.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

go get 'em Killer!
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                    X