Cat controversy in my town...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Curious as to why you let your cats outdoors. The bad really outweighs the good for cats outdoors: disease, other animals, vehicles, cruel people, etc...
    Because it makes them happy, no?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      My cats are happy as hell in the house. And they don't have to deal with getting poisoned, getting hit, getting into a fight, getting disease...yeah real happy place that outdoors
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

My cats are happy as hell in the house. And they don't have to deal with getting poisoned, getting hit, getting into a fight, getting disease...yeah real happy place that outdoors
        My wife and kids would be a heck of a lot safer never leaving the house, too. Maybe I'll start locking them in when I leave for work. I'll just make sure I've left out enough food.

Comment

this.

and i just grew up in a house where that was the case - many cats, and all of them were indoor/outdoor.

i've never been particularly worried about disease, other animals, vehicles, cruel people, etc. i keep them vaccinated (including feline leukemia), and i assume they are smart enough to avoid the rest, and if they aren't it's natural selection and there are more (smarter, faster) cats to be had. that may seem callous, but it's just my viewpoint. i lost one kitten to a neighbor's dog when i was in pasadena (made me very sad of course, but his replacement was the best cat i've ever owned), otherwise all the cats i've owned have been OK (~10 by now).
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

My wife and kids would be a heck of a lot safer never leaving the house, too. Maybe I'll start locking them in when I leave for work. I'll just make sure I've left out enough food.
            not a real good comparison.
            Last edited by Mithrandir; 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

wow... from you, that's a really piss poor rebuttal.
              Trying to keep it light, but if you want to discuss seriously, aren't cats naturally inclined to roam and hunt over larger areas than most homes provide? Not that I believe hamsters, gerbils, mice, rabbits or whatever other small pet likes being cooped up in a cage for life, either, of course. But as someone who would be perfectly happy to never own a pet, it just seems a bit cruel to me to deny a cat the ability to get out there in the world and enjoy being a cat, at least every once in a while.

Comment

Trying to keep it light, but if you want to discuss seriously, aren't cats naturally inclined to roam and hunt over larger areas than most homes provide? Not that I believe hamsters, gerbils, mice, rabbits or whatever other small pet likes being cooped up in a cage for life, either, of course. But as someone who would be perfectly happy to never own a pet, it just seems a bit cruel to me to deny a cat the ability to get out there in the world and enjoy being a cat, at least every once in a while.
                forgive me for being glib in that post.

that's why Purina exists and cruel to me is exposing cats to the perils of the outside world. My cats can be cats in the house without resorting to killing.

I have a 19 year old cat...a 12 year old cat who has never been to the vet since being spayed..and a 2 year old cat that we found wanfdering around the hills near my house (obviously dropped off by someone). They aren't missing anything outside.

We never seem to agree on anything do we

Comment

My daughter has three cats - Eli, the alpha/hunter; Bear, the scaredy-cat; and Charlie, the Siamese trickster (all fixed and tagged, by the way). We let Eli roam the neighborhood because we know he can handle himself. We let Bear out whenever he wants because we know he's too chickensh!t to ever leave the back yard. We keep Charlie in the house because he's overconfident - he thinks that because he can outwit and psychologically torment our stupid dog, he's ready to take on the world. He isn't.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Like your wife lets you have keys lol.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      My daughter has three cats - Eli, the alpha/hunter; Bear, the scaredy-cat; and Charlie, the Siamese trickster (all fixed and tagged, by the way). We let Eli roam the neighborhood because we know he can handle himself. We let Bear out whenever he wants because we know he's too chickensh!t to ever leave the back yard.
                      It's amazing that non-cat people think all cats are alike. Their personalities are so different that it's amazing. We've got three. One indoor and two outdoor. One outdoor never leaves the deck except to pee. The other is an amazing hunter -- we live on a lot of wooded acreage and I haven't seen a mouse since he showed up. Unfortunately, we can't "bell" him because there are two packs of coyotes in the area that he threads his way through every day.

Eventually, he'll end up as the main course, but he will not convert to an indoor cat. We tried and he just bangs his head against the door until we let him out. They are what they are.
                      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

not a real good comparison.
                        Hey, you've never met his wife and kids...
                        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

We never seem to agree on anything do we
                          Yeah, it's weird, isn't it, because we often disagree about issues that don't fall into neat categories based on political ideology. If anything, you'd expect that as a guy from denser-population environments that I'd be more likely to support the indoor cat default and you the outdoor cat default. But hey, I also happen to think that Hanley Ramirez is a pretty good baseball player.

Comment

I've had an indoor/outdoor cat, and now an indoor only cat (living in a condo makes it kind of tough to let her outside).

I have no issues with the outdoor element & certainly don't think it's cruel (my outdoor cat lived 15 years & had no problems navigating the dangers that are dogs, cars, birds, etc.). I can understand people wishing to keep their cats indoors, but based on my experience most cats are happiest outside where they can do what comes naturally to them - hunt, whether its mice, birds, or whatever ... whether they actually catch anything tho is largely irrelevant.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Yeah, it's weird, isn't it, because we often disagree about issues that don't fall into neat categories based on political ideology. If anything, you'd expect that as a guy from denser-population environments that I'd be more likely to support the indoor cat default and you the outdoor cat default. But hey, I also happen to think that Hanley Ramirez is a pretty good baseball player.
                              I paid $55 for Hanley..so I think he's pretty good too.

Comment

Working...
                              X