No announcement yet.

Are there any Atlanta, GA area Junkies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Atlanta, GA area Junkies?

So, my middle daughter just found out this weekend that she has been hired by CNN and will start in mid-May.

So, we are scrambling to find apartments and any other information for the area.

A friend of hers mentioned Decatur area as a nice reasonably priced area.

We found an apartment complex called The Park at Candler.

Any Junkies from the Atlanta that could provide any guidance would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Gris

Wow, congratulations!

I don't live in Atlanta, but work down there a lot. Here's what I can tell you:

- Both Decatur and Buckhead are areas that have been cleaned up a lot in the last ten years. Buckhead is the hipper, cooler place, but Decatur (I think) is a little nicer and safer. Either gives you good access to downtown.
    - If her apartment is in the 20/285 area, she'll need to decide whether she wants to drive in or take the train (MARTA). I'd take the train since driving during work days sucks for the most part in Atlanta. OTOH, if CNN provides free parking and she's working odd hours, driving wouldn't be bad.
    - The area she'll be working in has had an uptick in aggressive panhandling.

More later...
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

ThatRogue lives in Atlanta - saw him down there in March for a First Pitch Forum event.

I'm down there via car 4-5 times a year and through there just about every week in the airport connecting to somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Wow, congratulations!

I don't live in Atlanta, but work down there a lot. Here's what I can tell you:

- Both Decatur and Buckhead are areas that have been cleaned up a lot in the last ten years. Buckhead is the hipper, cooler place, but Decatur (I think) is a little nicer and safer. Either gives you good access to downtown.
        - If her apartment is in the 20/285 area, she'll need to decide whether she wants to drive in or take the train (MARTA). I'd take the train since driving during work days sucks for the most part in Atlanta. OTOH, if CNN provides free parking and she's working odd hours, driving wouldn't be bad.
        - The area she'll be working in has had an uptick in aggressive panhandling.

More later...
        Chancellor,

Thanks! Yeah, we are also told about Decatur. We did find some nice 1-BD/1-apts for about $550....which isn't bad.

I'll look at Buckhead as well.

She will probably be working weird hours...not sure on the parking yet.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          ThatRogue lives in Atlanta - saw him down there in March for a First Pitch Forum event.

I'm down there via car 4-5 times a year and through there just about every week in the airport connecting to somewhere else.
          Thanks, MJ!

I'll reach out to TR if he doesn't respond soon.

Comment

Congrats...it all depends on how much/long she wants to commute via car, and how close she wants to be to the action (ie fun nightlife, young people) in Atlanta. CNN is in the heart of downtown (it is actually connected to the basketball arena). While all great areas, the driving commute from Decatur, Dunwoody, Buckhead, Alpharetta would be pretty intense.

If she wants to drive to work, look at Druid Hills (that's the area around Emory University); Virginia Highlands; Morningside, or even Midtown. I love the druid hills area myself. I wouldn't recommend anything south/southwest of the middle of the city, nor anything northeast of Buckhead. Decatur, Dunwoody and Buckhead are also definitely still an option, although it would make more sense to commute by train.

PM me if you have any more questions and I can do my best to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Congrats...it all depends on how much/long she wants to commute via car, and how close she wants to be to the action (ie fun nightlife, young people) in Atlanta. CNN is in the heart of downtown (it is actually connected to the basketball arena). While all great areas, the driving commute from Decatur, Dunwoody, Buckhead, Alpharetta would be pretty intense.

If she wants to drive to work, look at Druid Hills (that's the area around Emory University); Virginia Highlands; Morningside, or even Midtown. I love the druid hills area myself. I wouldn't recommend anything south/southwest of the middle of the city, nor anything northeast of Buckhead. Decatur, Dunwoody and Buckhead are also definitely still an option, although it would make more sense to commute by train.

PM me if you have any more questions and I can do my best to help.
              Thanks!

I PM'd you....

Comment

So, we finally found a place in Smyrna, GA.

Lots of positive ratings and decent price plus close to station.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Heading to GA next Thursday - Sunday.

Comment

She will be spitting distance from the new baseball stadium

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    She will be spitting distance from the new baseball stadium
                    For the Atlanta Braves, I assume?

That's awesome!

Comment

So, the trip was long and painful on the way down (rained most of the time).

But we got to tour CNN behind the scenes (pics on Facebook) which was awesome!

We got to see where she will be working.

She started this past Monday and is doing the tech work for CNN International shows.

She loves it so far!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Hey, just my proud papa moment!

Gris

Comment

Wow...that's really cool. I just was down here for a quick business trip and the weather is yucky. Hopi g I'll get to fly out as I hang in Terminal T now.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                        X