RIP Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Perhaps we could rename this thread "RIP Prince/Things that Mith doesn't like".
    Isn't virtually every thread on here a "Things that Mith doesn't like" thread?

Comment

Former Prince bandmate/girlfriend Sheila E hopes that the Paisley Park complex will turn into a "Graceland" for Minnesota. That would be cool plus a huge boost for the Minnesota tourist industry.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        My sister is a huge Bruce fan, and she's kind of meh on the covers too - some she really likes, others no.

I'd be interested hearing Bruce's cover of Purple Rain. IMO, that has train wreck written all over it.
        it's posted earlier in this thread, and no, it was anything but a train wreck. Pretty much spot on...Nils killed the guitar solo...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          it's posted earlier in this thread, and no, it was anything but a train wreck. Pretty much spot on...Nils killed the guitar solo...
          That's good. I wasn't worried as much about the guitar work as the vocals.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            You've mathematically proven your point with a hefty sample size. You win.

You must have been PISSED when Rush released that covers EP and added "Summertime Blues" to their live sets.
            Well when the 8 of you on this site agree with something that i don't, you act like I'm wrong. Right back at ya!

And i was pissed.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I like Prince's music. But he was a musician. A great one, but a musician.

Did he do anything else for the people? Maybe he gave untold millions to charities or other worthwhile causes? Did he? If so, great !

It just seems so overblown to elevate him to such a status upon his death, when a helluva lot of people don't even know who he was.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                I like Prince's music. But he was a musician. A great one, but a musician.

Did he do anything else for the people? Maybe he gave untold millions to charities or other worthwhile causes? Did he? If so, great !

It just seems so overblown to elevate him to such a status upon his death, when a helluva lot of people don't even know who he was.
                Eat your words...

Most of the conversations about Prince’s legacy have been about his music, his religious journey, how that influenced his music and – as of late – his charitable giving.

I-Team 8 found federal tax records that show one of Prince’s charities, Love 4 Another Charities, has donated millions of dollars to schools, shelters and community programs in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, his native Minneapolis and even Ames, Iowa. The three years worth of tax records reviewed by I-Team 8 show no donations to facilities in Indiana, but the scope of the records viewed was minimal.

Contributions also were given to organizations, schools and facilities in Georgia, Texas, Wisconsin and Ohio.

Prince’s signature can be seen on the tax forms for his non-profit charity, which are public record and available for inspection.

The 2007 filing for Love 4 Another Charities shows the organization – at the time – had more than $11 million in assets – much of that was cash.

Prince noted in the records that he spent about five hours a week working on the charity.

The news website Insider Louisville published a report Friday that Prince had given a $12,000 donation to a public library in Louisville in 2001. The singer had asked that the award be kept silent but the online news organization was able to confirm the story that included a picture of the check.
                I-Team 8 found federal tax records that show one of Prince's charities, Love 4 Another Charities, has donated millions of dollars to schools, shelters and community programs.

One close friend of the music icon Prince is saying it's time to "quit talking just about the music" by letting the world know music is just one part of his legacy. Prince was also a secret humanitarian.

"[Prince] did not want it to be known publicly, but I'm going to say it because the world needs to know that it wasn't just the music," said CNN political commentator and close friend Van Jones in an interview with Don Lemon. "The music was one way he tried to help the world. But he was helping every day of his life."

Jones added, "There are people who have solar panels on their houses right now in Oakland, California, that they don't know Prince paid for them."

Some of Prince's other hidden efforts included helping create programs like #YesWeCode to help give urban youth access to tech, and using Jones as the public face for his work with Green For All to make green living accessible for all.

According to Jones, Prince also used benefit concerts in Chicago and Baltimore as covers to work with the city's community organizations in need.

Indeed, the full extent of Prince's charity may never be known, in part, Jones said, because Prince was a Jehovah's Witness and was not allowed to speak about his work.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Why would I eat my words? I asked if he gave money to charities as I did not know. I never claimed that he didn't donate money. I am glad he did!

Comment

That's a good thing because now a lot of those people will be curious enough to want to listen to his music. I think more of today's younger generation will finally give a listen to Prince in much the same way more young people gave a listen to Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison after their deaths drew more attention to their work. When i was a kid i didn't listen to John Lennon's early solo stuff. But, shortly after his death i was intrigued enough to search for it. Prince may end up becoming more popular in death than he was during his lifetime. Especially if his music vaults contain another hit song or two.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's one of those love it or hate it songs. One of the lesser known tunes from the Purple Rain album. One of the great things about Prince was his versatility. He could rock out on the guitar and impress the guys or he could belt out a ballad like this that would make the girls go nuts.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        My sister is a huge Bruce fan, and she's kind of meh on the covers too - some she really likes, others no.
                        The guy still does 3.5 hour shows... I can't imagine you are missing much by them throwing in a cover or two.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Why would I eat my words? I asked if he gave money to charities as I did not know. I never claimed that he didn't donate money. I am glad he did!
                          Basicly, because you're coming off like a dick in this thread...that's why.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Basicly, because you're coming off like a dick in this thread...that's why.
                            Dude, you guys think I come off like a dick in 99% of the threads I post in. Big deal. I don' think like you guys, I get it. So I'm a dick. I know.

Comment

Dude, you guys think I come off like a dick in 99% of the threads I post in. Big deal. I don' think like you guys, I get it. So I'm a dick. I know.
                              Didn't say you WERE a dick, just that you're coming off like one when this is a memorial thread. There's a time and place to say things, and maybe, this isn't the right time to go off a bit. I'm sure that you're a fine human being and a contributor to our society.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

What's ridiculous is that I get scorn heaped upon me for saying I wasn't a fan of Bruce covering a Prince tune. You guys act like I was glad he died and that Bruce should be shot for doing Purple Rain.

It's my opinion. You don't agree with it fine, but some really went over board to criticize me.

To misquote the Dude: "it's just like my opinion man."

Comment

Working...
                                X