Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf!!!

Is anyone else in a Golf League?

My league began two weeks ago. The Golf Club has 2-18 hole courses so we rotate through the 4-9 hole courses. Each of the 9-hole course varies in difficulty. To give you an idea of the difficulty of each course, The SLOPE for each of the courses ranges from 112-119 with 113 being the average for a course.

I shot a 42 two weeks ago. Didn't golf last week.

Here's the Course website: http://www.cedarbrookgolfcourse.com/welcome
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Given that par might be anywhere from 27 to 45, it's hard to say how you did. It sounds really good, though.

Comment

Par was 36.

3 of the 9 hole course's are par 36, one is a par 35
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I love to golf!

My dad started me when I was 12 and I would go almost everyday in the summer between the ages of 12-17.

My grandparents also played every day with us.

Needless to say, I got to be really good....I was playing in local junior tournaments and shot between 74-80.

Not bad, but not great.

Went to college.....took up softball and ruined my golf swing!

Now if I break 45 for 9 holes, it's a good day.

Comment

Haven't swung the clubs for four years now. May take it up again this year. At my best , a low teens handicap.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Takes too much time and is too expensive in land starved northern

I also find that too many people cheat - do you always play it where it lies, count penalty strokes and dont take mulligans etc (maybe I am wrong) - or is it considered just for fun by and these are part of your game

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              Takes too much time and is too expensive in land starved northern

I also find that too many people cheat - do you always play it where it lies, count penalty strokes and dont take mulligans etc (maybe I am wrong) - or is it considered just for fun by and these are part of your game
              My league is one of those casual leagues that sort of take it serious, as it's mostly for fun and just getting on the golf course. No mulligans or outright cheating, but you can roll the ball a few inches to improve your lie. We follow the rules of golf to a point on some rules. It's also match play so we do the "it's good" on putts. Although the length of putt "given" varies depending on the individual.

I always take a league handicap with a grain of salt and figure one should add at least 2-3 strokes to get a more accurate handicap.

Comment

Mith - good point on the handicap. My league was pretty hardcore on the rules, but the course we played I always felt was a lot easier than the slope number. When I'd play a true championship course, it would be a very good day if I could come
                within a couple strokes of my handicap.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Played the shortest of the courses on Wednesday. Played pretty good overall. Shot a 40. Had one birdie as i sank about a 30 footer from the fringe.

Round could have been better (can't they all!) as i was 1-over going to the last two holes and double-bogeyed both of them.

Comment

Update:

Anyone playing golf this summer?

I have about 5 more weeks left in my league. I have been very consistent this year. Low round is a 39 high round is a 45. Sitting in 1st place right now for the season out of 26 guys, so it's been pretty sweet so far.

I wish i had more time to golf as I would play 4-5 times a week if I had the time and could afford it.

Comment

I haven't played in almost two years, but my son (13) asked me to take him. We finally got some time to play last week. We only played 9 after work. I had a couple of good holes and a couple of bad ones. My son, who could hit the ball consistently when he was younger, did not play well. I would like him to take a few lessons but he just likes to play. We had a good time, though. He even got to drive the cart most of the time.

The course in my neighborhood has a great deal for families. Up to 4 get green/cart fee + range balls and a $25 gift card tor the golf shop/grill for....$25. Really good deal.

Comment

I haven't played much in 10+ years but my son got a taste of it at Top Golf and few months back so I've taken him a few times. He loves the game and would love to improve enough to play on his high school team but I don't know if he can improve that much in time (he starts 9th this year).

I am pretty terrible and don't have time to play enough to get better. Sometimes I think about just driving the cart for him. He hits them pretty straight but doesn't have any distance yet. And I can kick his ass on the green.

Comment

Working...
                        X