Detached retina..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detached retina..

I was diagnosed with a detached retina in my left eye on March 23rd. Had surgery (gas bubble placement) the same day. Fortunately the detachment wasn't in my direct line of vision so I suffered no vision loss at any time. I also had cryogenic surgery on my right eye to prevent the same situation occuring in that eye (Surgery was to strengthen the weak spots that might have torn in the future). Getting novacaine shots up under your eyeball is interesting !!

On March 27th I had to do my fantasy draft at home..over the phone..with my eyes closed. That was an experience.

Finally back to work this past Monday after being off nearly a month. So far so good. I do have floaters in both eyes..probably will be there on and off the rest of my life.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Glad it went well for you, Mith. That's serious stuff.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I am also glad you are healing up.

How did you know you had a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I am also glad you are healing up.

How did you know you had a problem?
        I started to see a black spot in the lower corner of my eye. If i looked away from the spot it covered more peripheral vision. If i looked at the spot it disappeared. I called the doctor with this info and they told me to get to their office ASAP.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I was diagnosed with a detached retina in my left eye on March 23rd. Had surgery (gas bubble placement) the same day. Fortunately the detachment wasn't in my direct line of vision so I suffered no vision loss at any time. I also had cryogenic surgery on my right eye to prevent the same situation occuring in that eye (Surgery was to strengthen the weak spots that might have torn in the future). Getting novacaine shots up under your eyeball is interesting !!

On March 27th I had to do my fantasy draft at home..over the phone..with my eyes closed. That was an experience.

Finally back to work this past Monday after being off nearly a month. So far so good. I do have floaters in both eyes..probably will be there on and off the rest of my life.
          sounds terrible....losing my vision is one of my personal nightmares. How was it drafting with your eyes closed? Did you have someone helping you?
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            sounds terrible....losing my vision is one of my personal nightmares. How was it drafting with your eyes closed? Did you have someone helping you?
            No help for the draft. It was pretty tough trying to figure out who was available..who was left...i suffered the most with closers...I am in 2nd place right now, so who knows

Comment

Glad the surgery went well for you Mithrandir. I had the same emergency surgery the day after election day 2008. Silicon gas bubble, scalar buckle all that fun stuff. I also developed a cataract several months later, but that was a breeze compared to the first surgery and now I don't have a wear a contact lens.

The two weeks after the surgery with my head down were tough, but the I was able to lie on my side so that helped. Listened to alot of talk radio.

Comment

Working...
              X