Teaching Kids Using Sabermetrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Kids Using Sabermetrics

Any thoughts from the pen on incorporating baseball and fantasy sports as a learning tool for basic statistical analysis for kids as young as four or five and working up through elementary and secondary education?
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

To start, stick with the stats on a baseball card. BA and ERA are plenty complicated. As they get a little more experienced, WHIP, OBA and SLG. This will let you use a scouting magazine. For secondary, I think Bill James concepts are pretty intuitive. Try Runs Created, Favorite Toy, and defensive stats like RF. For advanced work, show them how a a site like BBMonster uses standard deviation to value player, which will introduce the concept of a baseline and regression analysis.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

in all seriousness, with kids that little, I'd start them on "craps". They like to roll the dice, and they really like to yell "Craps!", you obviously don't lay out the whole game, but rolling sevens and making points are enough.
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
      X