No announcement yet.

Is DFS Gambling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past performance is no indication of future results....

I would agree Revo that there is a likelihood that the portfolio you suggest may be profitable for the long term. But the primary reason that the disclosure listed above is used on basically every piece of marketing related to securities is because there is still risk. I also think you are comparing apples to oranges... Blackjack, DFS and the like would be more kin to options or day trading, where there can be significant risk depending on the strategy.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

If season long fantasy sports is gambling, the DFS is gambling. I don't think season long is, so I'm saying neither is DFS.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        If season long fantasy sports is gambling, the DFS is gambling. I don't think season long is, so I'm saying neither is DFS.
        There is no legislator arguing that season long fantasy is gambling, only daily.

Originally posted by baldgriff
        Past performance is no indication of future results....

I would agree Revo that there is a likelihood that the portfolio you suggest may be profitable for the long term. But the primary reason that the disclosure listed above is used on basically every piece of marketing related to securities is because there is still risk. I also think you are comparing apples to oranges... Blackjack, DFS and the like would be more kin to options or day trading, where there can be significant risk depending on the strategy.
        Of course there's risk, and many will equate investing with gambling -- and if they invest as I had stated before, it is gambling. If there was no disclosure, there'd be millions of lawsuits!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          There is no legislator arguing that season long fantasy is gambling, only daily.
          The question was do we think DFS is gambling, not do you think the legislator thinks DFS is gambling. I can answer that question how I want.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            I don't know if it's still the case or not, but I got my wrist slapped by Paypal because one of my leaguemates put the words "entry fee" in his comment when he sent it to me and I had to promise I would never accept money for a fantasy league again on Paypal. This was like 7 years ago so they may have ironed out the details on that one, but I think technically having an entry fee for a fantasy league is considered gambling as well.

Comment

Yeah, entry fee makes it sounds like you are paying to play rather than contributing to a pot for the winner.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                I don't know if it's still the case or not, but I got my wrist slapped by Paypal because one of my leaguemates put the words "entry fee" in his comment when he sent it to me and I had to promise I would never accept money for a fantasy league again on Paypal. This was like 7 years ago so they may have ironed out the details on that one, but I think technically having an entry fee for a fantasy league is considered gambling as well.
                I put "Hush Money" on mine
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I usually go with "for lap dances"
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    I usually go with "for lap dances"
                    mine is "for crack"
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                    X