Paris Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    if you are smart and resourceful enough to get your family the fuck out of Syria and all the way to the United states, we want you in California. You are too smart to end up in some banjo playing, cracker state with an asshole governor
    And ISIS wants them in Syria. It's a double-hit to them when we take in refugees - it increases the "grey area" that they are mortally opposed to, and removes human and financial resources that they need.

One of the writers at the humor/commentary site Cracked bothered to read every issue of ISIS' official magazine, and I think his takeaway is interesting:
    ISIS wants us to invade - 7 facts revealed by their magazine/
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
      And ISIS wants them in Syria. It's a double-hit to them when we take in refugees - it increases the "grey area" that they are mortally opposed to, and removes human and financial resources that they need.

One of the writers at the humor/commentary site Cracked bothered to read every issue of ISIS' official magazine, and I think his takeaway is interesting:
      Very informative article. My take from this is that our strongest ally in the war against ISIS could end up being Iran. War sometimes creates strange allies.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks for that link. I was not expecting journalism from Cracked, but they had a couple great articles.

Comment

yes, another thanks ... I consider(ed) myself moderately well-read on the subject-matter but that was very enlightening. And well written.

Jeez, it's almost like the scope of the problem ISIS represents is far too complex to boil down to a Facebook status. Go figure.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs
            Interesting article(s), including the 2 links at the end. But what is the solution? Western forces out of there and let different Islamic sects blow each other up? Noone will go for that.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
              Interesting article(s), including the 2 links at the end. But what is the solution? Western forces out of there and let different Islamic sects blow each other up? Noone will go for that.
              I believe it's far too late for isolationism.
              - Go overboard helping the refugees, both those coming here and otherwise. There were 129 fatalities in Paris - in the last four years Syria has had 250,000 fatalities from multiple sides. Let's try to save 100 or more people for every death in Paris.
              - Actively address any state sponsorship of ISIS, there is a lot of evidence that Turkey specifically has been assisting them for their own aims.
              - Make it clear that this is not viewed as a holy war, that ISIS is representing violence as power, in particular against the people of Syria, and not some religious or moral code.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Out of curiosity, why do you believe this?
                Most importantly, I don't believe for one second that we would truly isolate ourselves. And the groups that would stay entangled (oil companies - even if we are not importing any oil to the U.S., government intelligence, military sales) would be those most likely to contribute to the problem in the present and future.

Comment

I thought this was a good read

---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                  X