No announcement yet.

Beatles song draft II signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was starting to think, hey, there are some underappreciated gems from the White Album that haven't gone yet. Two of them were I'm So Tired and Cry Baby Cry.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Most of Slowhand is pretty good. "The Core" is one of the best songs of his career and doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should.

The only song I listen to from that album. Great song. But "Wonderful Tonight" is kryptonite to the hard core Clapton fans, which keeps most away from "Slowhand".

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd
        I'm not a Beatles fanatic but I'm surprised that certain songs haven't been selected yet. E.g., "I Will" is a great song.
        I took the original version of it, called I'll Follow The Sun.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Sheep, have you heard the Love soundtrack? They have a song called 'Gnik Nus', which is of course 'Sun King' played backwards. One of my favorite tracks.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Someone requested I move this comment to this thread, so I did, below:

I'm not part of the drafters and I'm not a Beatles fanatic but I'm surprised that certain songs havent been selected yet. E.g., "I Will" is a great song. I really like the Swingle Singers' version better than the Beatles'. Very touching.

Also surprised that "Yellow Submarine" and "Octopus Garden" havent been selected.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Sheep, have you heard the Love soundtrack? They have a song called 'Gnik Nus', which is of course 'Sun King' played backwards. One of my favorite tracks.
              I have heard it. I liked the idea better than the execution. I have heard some really impressive Beatles remixes elsewhere.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Not a lot of Ringo love around these parts. Some, but not much.
                The No-No Song!

Ringo had a helluva run from 1971 through 1975.

Comment

Eh. I feel like we have some massively, massively different taste in music.
                  I think Ringo had one good song, which happened to fall in 1971, a terrible year for pop music. A year in which the Osmonds, the Bee Gees, the Raiders, John Denver, Dawn, and Three Dog Night finished the year with top ten songs. Now, I like TDN as much as the next man, but Joy to the World isn't my favorite, and isn't by far the best Hoyt Axton composition.

Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy" finished #43, nestled between Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds (all five of them, I guess) and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

There were some great hits. But for every "What's Going On" there is at least one "Watching Scotty Grow".

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Is this thing still on?
                    I texted TheGaffer this morning. He is skipped. Johnny is up.

Technically our clock is 4 hours on weekdays but I've been busy this week and haven't been able to enforce much.

Comment

I'm kind of tepid on his Beatles compositions, which for me range from the awesome (I Get By With a Little Help...) to the lame (Octopus' Garden). Agreed about It Don't Come Easy. That's a solid tune. His is easily the weakest contribution to the Fab 4 body of work, both as a group and solo, imo.
                      He only wrote two songs for the Beatles: Don't Pass Me By (which is good) and Octopus's Garden (which is not). All his other lead vocals with the Beatles were cover songs or songs written for him by John and Paul.

It Don't Come Easy is amazing and nothing else in his solo catalog comes anywhere close to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        He only wrote two songs for the Beatles: Don't Pass Me By (which is good) and Octopus's Garden (which is not). All his other lead vocals with the Beatles were cover songs or songs written for him by John and Paul.

It Don't Come Easy is amazing and nothing else in his solo catalog comes anywhere close to it.
                        Octopus's Garden is a really cool tune.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Just listened to It Don't Come Easy again. Really tickled to have that on the roster as my Ringo contribution. Love those ringing arpeggios.

Comment

• "For No One" is a song I completely forgot about and really regret not having on my roster. It breaks my heart every time I hear it.

Comment

• Hey Johnny, make your pick and clean out your inbox, in whichever order.

Comment

• TheGaffer is skipped again. Lucky up.

Comment

Working...
                                X