No announcement yet.

'16 Democratic Nomination Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• look at an intelligent civilization as having different tiers. I forget what the first tier is, but number 2 is nuclear energy. number 3 is controlling the planets weather.

the problem with living as Indians or an earth based science is the natural state of the earth is an ice age. if humans did not come around when we did and cause the planet to warm, our species would be living in an ace age more often than not.

it's the theory of the cosmic diamond, except instead of it applying to the universe it can apply to the planet. the last 100 years and the next 100 are the most important for us because that's when we can influence the greatest changes. where the greatest number of ppl will be alive. give or take a 10's of billions.

for our species to survive in a meaningful way, we have to learn how to control the planets weather. we've learned how to do it by accident so far. this is the global warming challenge. you can learn how to heat it by accident, but to cool it you have to do it on purpose. and you have to be forced into learning how to do it.

I still don't understand why we can't create water from molecules.

so it's meant to be. wars make technology advance. fighting over resources caused by global warming will cause us to solve global warming. but many will die in between.

..all this apocalyptic stuff, I felt weird in the supermarket today. the nice music was playing, and it was all serene. all I had to do was pick out stuff and hand over stuff that seemed worthless for it. I looked at a chicken and I thought, that's what your life is worth, $4.99. but then in a parallel universe ppl will kill each other for that $4.99 chicken. I was like, a zombie could come crashing around an isle at any moment. but then when I got to the checkout counter, the cashier, said her father has lung cancer, and I said I know a few ppl that survived that. and she probed me further and said he also has heart failure too. and I said, oh, they can manage that pretty well too these days. and I looked into her eye's and left. and I couldn't tell who was telling who.

as a species we've come a pretty long way. I hope we don't screw it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      My son is a Sanders supporter and remarked that Sanders usually looks like the guy who just has flight delayed and is stuck at the airport - not sure what that means but it does make me laugh
      Jimmy Kimmel the other night on the others:

- Webb looks like "an angry stepdad"
      - O'Malley looks like "the guy in the picture frame"
      - Chafee looks like "he accidentally wandered in from a bird-watching competition"

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• no Chafee is the guy that admires his suit too much.

but Chafee is important. he was kicked out of the republican party for being too moderate.

he has a place on that stage, for that reason.

Comment

• It's been about a week. Who do you think won?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• If you missed the SNL Dem Debate parody....it's terrific. Larry David as Bernie Sanders is gold!

Comment

• Jim Webb drops out of the race, and his few supporters are not surprised.

Comment

• I love how Larry/the SNL writers had Bernie go back and forth between "serious guy talking about serious things" and "old guy who spouts a lot of nonsense like that heard on Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiam."

Kate McKinnon's Hillary has been spot-on for a year now.

None of their Republican-candidate parodies save Trump have any depth to them yet, probably because there are still so many of them in the race.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Hillary has a bounce from the debate. As always, this is her nomination to lose. Sanders cannot beat her. I'm not sure if he wants to.

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Jim Webb drops out of the race, and his few supporters are not surprised.
                  He made his case for the VP nod.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I'm kind of surprised that Biden decided not to run--I just sort of figured he would get in. I think this effectively ends the race for the Democratic nomination. Sanders only real hope was Biden getting in and splitting the establishment vote. Without that happening, he figures to be little more than a speed bump for the Clinton coronation.
                    As someone who enjoys the sport of politics, i am disappointed.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                      I'm kind of surprised that Biden decided not to run--I just sort of figured he would get in. I think this effectively ends the race for the Democratic nomination. Sanders only real hope was Biden getting in and splitting the establishment vote. Without that happening, he figures to be little more than a speed bump for the Clinton coronation.
                      I think it is more likely told he wont be getting into the race, than he decided to get in the race.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I'm kind of surprised that Biden decided not to run--I just sort of figured he would get in. I think this effectively ends the race for the Democratic nomination. Sanders only real hope was Biden getting in and splitting the establishment vote. Without that happening, he figures to be little more than a speed bump for the Clinton coronation.
                        As someone who enjoys the sport of politics, i am disappointed.
                        I'm not that surprised given he would not have won and his Senate record would have been re-evaluated and not favorably IMO (e.g., criminal justice, student loan debt).
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          I'm not that surprised given he would not have won and his Senate record would have been re-evaluated and not favorably IMO (e.g., criminal justice, student loan debt).
                          40 years in the public eye, you know how to sidestep a few landmines about your voting record plus he's have had the full support of President Obama--no small thing either.

Comment

40 years in the public eye, you know how to sidestep a few landmines about your voting record plus he's have had the full support of President Obama--no small thing either.
                            But you'e already got one side stepper in Hillary and frankly, she's better than him at it.

Sanders is fine, once he and Hillary go head to head in debates, the race will tighten and if they can manage to get out the vote, he should win.

Hilary has done nothing to change anyone's mind.

BUT the SNL skit was right, she's playing the Me or the Monster from Planet GOP card to the hilt.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              But you'e already got one side stepper in Hillary and frankly, she's better than him at it.

Sanders is fine, once he and Hillary go head to head in debates, the race will tighten and if they can manage to get out the vote, he should win.

Hilary has done nothing to change anyone's mind.

BUT the SNL skit was right, she's playing the Me or the Monster from Planet GOP card to the hilt.
                              if you think Sanders is going to be the nominee, i'm afraid your Presidential prognostic streak is going to end. it just isnt going to happen for him (barring an indictment of her, which I suppose isn't totally outside the realm of possibiltiy).

Comment

if you think Sanders is going to be the nominee, i'm afraid your Presidential prognostic streak is going to end. it just isnt going to happen for him (barring an indictment of her, which I suppose isn't totally outside the realm of possibiltiy).
                                I can see that. Like you, I'm thinking that it's going to take something big to change the course of the status quo. Hillary seems predestined, which makes us looking toward more of the same. Sad that no real change can occur, at least not while so much of our process is bought.

Still not voting for her.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X