Capitalism at it's finest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    And as Bucky has noted, the reason it's so discounted is the patent is expired. He will be crushed by generics in no time.

This case doesn't even come close to addressing the main problem in drug manufacture today, though it's a popular straw man for the Sanders fans to beat their chests about. Ask an AIDS advocate. Or a pediatric cancer advocate. Or a person who contracts TB in Asia. Or people suffering from a host of past illnesses thought wiped out or pretty close but coming back due to the half wits who refuse to vaccinate.

But keep on keeping on. I'll bet you sound nice in the echo chamber.
    Thanks for the encouragement brother.

BTW just what IS the problem with the Pharmas nowadays? Is it the same thing I've been railing about for decades? Probably, oh and THIS wasn't a slap in the face of Pharma, which deserves to get beat bloody, but rather a slap at Capitalistic practices, of which there are many, who prey on the ills of the populace.

BTW, that Echo Chamber is in the process of being relocated to the Oval Office, gonna make some noise there!

Signed, Misogynist according to Chance.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      While a generic could eventually "crush" this profiteer, it likely will not be for quite some time, if ever. If I remember correctly, it takes about 24-36 months on average for a generic to be approved and enter the market. Combine this with the fact that generics know for a stone cold fact that a name brand could and has sold this exact pill at $10, I seriously doubt that many generic manufacturers will be beating down doors in order to jump into this particular market. Had he not gotten all this negative publicity, this massive price increase would have worked perfectly. Obviously massive price increases generally result in competitors flooding the market. However, in the pharmaceutical market it's often the case that single companies control the supply chain, making barriers to entry extraordinarily high. Combine this with the price flexibility that this single company enjoys with this drug and I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of a philanthropist even attempts to make a generic. Why would anyone? All CEO McDouchebag has to do is lower the cost significantly as soon as a viable competitor enters the market. And this after the viable competitor has already spent significantly on overcoming barriers to entry, like supply chain. Generally speaking, generics only enter markets and only have advantages when drugs are both expensive and have a really high number of users. They have one of those variables right now --- perhaps since the price is $700 a generic might be considering entering the market at a somewhat lower price point. But why would anyone? They know that the market will bear $10 pills. So even if they enter the market at $500, they've already have spent enormous sums on development and supply and can rightfully expect the name brand to undercut them with ease. The scam is a good one, if you're a soulless monster like this guy.
      I thought he was a strawman so we could beat our chests?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

what I find a little alarming is that toxoplasmosis affects like 50% of the population. this I already knew. and as long as you don't get infected when you're pregnant, don't have aids, or are on immune suppressing drugs from an organ transplant, toxoplasmosis has potential benefits. ppl that are infected are more active, they take more risks. but what happens if suddenly that 50% populations immune system fails for some other reason? which isn't likely to happen. but what if it did. I never really thought about it before. under unlikely extreme unknown circumstances it's potentially a drug that would be needed by 4 billion ppl. and with global warming perhaps causing more zoonosis in the future, you never know. I immediately thought of the cat scene in trainspotting.

I guess what you have to ask is what are the chances of having 50% of the world population's immune system depleted from something else first. so besides potentially screwing over ppl with weak immune systems right now, the drug has a very small chance to be huge in the distant future if everything goes wrong. there are other drugs that treat it.

Comment

A parasite is an organism that lives on or in a host and gets its food from or at the expense of its host. Parasites can cause disease in humans.

Toxoplasmosis is considered one of the Neglected Parasitic Infections, a group of five parasitic diseases that have been targeted by CDC for public health action.

Toxoplasmosis is considered to be a leading cause of death attributed to foodborne illness in the United States. More than 60 million men, women, and children in the U.S. carry the Toxoplasma parasite, but very few have symptoms because the immune system usually keeps the parasite from causing illness.

Comment

We live in an age where many people would rather wallow in their ignorance than educate themselves for fear they might have to change their minds. They aren't really stupid, they just choose to ignore facts, education and science (among other edifying things) for god knows what reason. It's like they'd rather burn to death than acknowledge that standing in hot lava has been proven to be fatal. I've really never seen anything like it in my life.

Maybe Ignorance really is bliss, but for those of us who choose to use our brains--It's fucking maddening as hell.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

All this political talk is giving me a headache... pass me two $20 Tylenol, please...
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Lol, Google the name of the jerk who raised prices and here's what you get:

Martin Shkreli, the boyish drug company entrepreneur, who rocketed to infamy by jacking up the price of a life-saving pill from $13.50 to $750, was arrested by federal agents at his Manhattan home early Thursday morning on securities fraud related to a firm he founded.
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Prison rape is too good for this guy.

Comment

Karma's a bitch

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Prison rape is too good for this guy.
                      He has a pill for any side effects.
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Lawyer for Martin Shkreli Hikes Fees Five Thousand Per Cent
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                        X