Worst "rock bottom" moments in sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Clemente, Munich and Marshall are terrible tragedies, but not exactly "falls from grace" as the OP was seeking.

Some others I can think of:
    - Mark Ingram
    - Chuck Muncie
    - Eddie Cicotte, SHoeless Joe and the rest of the 1919 Black Sox
    - Art Schichter
    - Maurice Clarett
    - Rae Carruth
    - Penn State/Jerry Sandusky
    Right, I wandered off on the idea of sports tragedies.

For falls from grace, I guess I would have to go with the Tiger Woods Skank-a-Thon.

Comment

Tom Brady's suspension being overturned............
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post

For falls from grace, I guess I would have to go with the Tiger Woods Skank-a-Thon.
        Just from falling off a cliff on the field stand point- What tiger Woods is going through is just stunning. Going from an Immortal to a Hack!!!!

Pete Rose Story - has to be mention in here somewhere. King of stupid unraveling of his Legecy. You know it has to be eating him alive!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Tom Brady's suspension being overturned............
          I hate the Patriots as much as the rest but the real tragedy in this story is Goodell being an idiot. How many time do you overstep your bounds and get shot down.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
            I hate the Patriots as much as the rest but the real tragedy in this story is Goodell being an idiot. How many time do you overstep your bounds and get shot down.
            An Idiot and a Liar walk into a bar.... but true, this isn't a real tragedy or fall from grace, sorry to derail the thread :P
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post

Never quite understood why Tiger took so much heat for this ... he went up in my estimation. Before, he was like a media robot with little or no personality. Turns out he's human after all, and oddly, likes to nail hot chicks ... what a freak. His forced public contrition was the most disgusting part of this whole story IMO ... he even went into therapy for liking women / sex.

Comment

Talk about gutless from a Texas High School game.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Never quite understood why Tiger took so much heat for this ... he went up in my estimation. Before, he was like a media robot with little or no personality. Turns out he's human after all, and oddly, likes to nail hot chicks ... what a freak. His forced public contrition was the most disgusting part of this whole story IMO ... he even went into therapy for liking women / sex.
                  The issue is that he was married, and was not in an open marriage. Jeter nailed as many hot babes or even more, but no one cared because he wasn't married. Tiger should never have gotten married, or should have married someone who was OK with an open relationship.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    The issue is that he was married, and was not in an open marriage. Jeter nailed as many hot babes or even more, but no one cared because he wasn't married. Tiger should never have gotten married, or should have married someone who was OK with an open relationship.
                    Right. You are either in the marriage or not. But even assuming you have no problem with extra-marital affairs, the guy has a zillion dollars. He can arrange any type of trysts he desires, with the most beautiful and discrete women in the world. Many of these were just targets of opportunity, women you could attract without being rich, handsome, famous, etc. Did I mention rich? That's why I didn't say "series of affairs", but instead used the more descriptive term "Skank-a-Thon". I can go back and look them up if you like.

And holy smokes, I remember it was a beauty he left at home.

I do remember a poster, though, from about 20 years ago, featuring this absolutely beautiful, buxom, scantily clad woman, smiling alluringly. The line was "Somewhere, some guy is tired of her sh*t." So, you never know.

Comment

if Tiger was married to your sister and she was at home taking care of their two pre-school kids while he's out tomcatting, would you feel the same way?
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Married men and women cheat all the time. The divorce rate has been sky high for decades and though the roof for rich celeb types. From what I heard, it wasn't a particularly happy marriage, kids or no kids. Was Tiger a bit of a dick? ... maybe, quite probably ... but it's no-one's business but his and his families, and does he deserve the kind of public humiliation he got? Noone deserves that.

That media overreaction (and public frenzy ... can't just blame the "media") was way over the top. Tiger should have just told the media and everyone else to F off and mind their own bees wax ... he shoulda gave it one of these, and the story would have been over as quick as it appeared:

... instead he decided to go with the fake corporate contrition bullshit like he's some sort of politician. The media got the exact reaction they needed to keep the story running for ages ... as if they are doing society some kind of favour by revealing some celebrities infidelity.Movie stars, rock stars have got up to a lot more depraved crap than what Tiger Woods did, and they are considered heroes, married with kids or not.

Led Zeppelin spent the 70's running around the world banging hundreds girls of questionable legal age (let's say), and they all had wives / partners and kids at home. We (and the media) worship rock stars and movies stars for doing far worse, yet Tiger gets dragged over the coals? The whole thing stank of moralizing hypocrisy.

Comment

Led Zeppelin spent the 70's running around the world banging hundreds girls of questionable legal age (let's say), and they all had wives / partners and kids at home. We (and the media) worship rock stars and movies stars for doing far worse, yet Tiger gets dragged over the coals? The whole thing stank of moralizing hypocrisy.
                          I think I reacted more to the corporate image he had before it all came out. I never agreed with Barkley that athletes aren't role models if they are out there doing commercials and saying we should buy the shoes they wear or whatever. If you are saying we should do something because you do it, then you are a role model. Also, why I never had a problem with Bonds being a dick. He never tried to sell anything to me, he wanted to be left alone, fair enough. Tiger was all about selling me shit and with that comes an expectation that he be a model citizen. You don't get to say "whatever, I'll do what I want" and then ask me to do something.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

A cynic might even say the media went so over the top with it because he was a highly successful minority...
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Tiger was well known to the entire PGA Tour as the biggest asshole they've ever had - and that has not changed, I am told, since his "apology." He treats staff, fans, and even runners - college kids who get to work in the clubhouse at events as gofers - about as well as he treated his wife, meaning miserably. and as noted, he was collecting millions from Buick all the while.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                Tiger was well known to the entire PGA Tour as the biggest asshole they've ever had - and that has not changed, I am told, since his "apology." He treats staff, fans, and even runners - college kids who get to work in the clubhouse at events as gofers - about as well as he treated his wife, meaning miserably. and as noted, he was collecting millions from Buick all the while.
                                Dunno about that. Among the Tour, it's pretty well agreed that Bubba Watson holds that role, hands down.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X