Chocolate Thunder, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate Thunder, RIP

Darryl Dawkins, who spent the bulk of his career with the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets, has died at the age of 58, according to his family.

Dawkins played for four teams during his 14-year NBA career, making a name for himself with backboard-shattering dunks and a larger-than-life personality. Most recently, Dawkins was coaching basketball at Lehigh Carbon Community College, but he has always stayed close to the NBA, acting as an ambassador for the game and appearing at league events.

ex-Nets who did not reach age 60 (many did not reach 30 or 40 or 50, either):

Dawkins, Ray Williams, Woolridge, Petrovic, Dare, Schintzius, Gilliam, Haley, Mason.....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Darryl Dawkins, who spent the bulk of his career with the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets, has died at the age of 58, according to his family.

Dawkins played for four teams during his 14-year NBA career, making a name for himself with backboard-shattering dunks and a larger-than-life personality. Most recently, Dawkins was coaching basketball at Lehigh Carbon Community College, but he has always stayed close to the NBA, acting as an ambassador for the game and appearing at league events.
      I had a chance to meet him about 10 years ago and hang out with him at a Nets party. He was the size of a large Armoire in a yellow/green Hawaiian shirt. My son (then 10) was the only kid there from a while. Dawkins shook my sons hand and said to him "Are you the kid that owes me 50 bucks - there is a kid here that owes me 50 bucks" - he then spent the rest of the night hanging out with us. Extremely friendly guy and an ambassador for the game. HE said "I couldn't believe that I got paid for playing basketball. now I show up at parties, eat great food or maybe play golf and I get paid for that."

Really affable guy!!!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...fans/flash.htm

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...an-focus_x.htm

Comment

good story - and thousands and thousands of people were lucky enough to have that experience. I met him myself as well, and every time was memorable. he was magical....
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I had not heard that Shin Splintz died. Wow.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I just hate that these pro athletes die so young. They really pay a price.
            “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Sucks. I know several people who knew him and they said he was awwsome. Wish he could have gotten a ring with the Sixers but it wasn't to be.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
              X