Coaching Little League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Little League

You know, I come to RJ periodically and have been around since 2005. I am not a frequent poster, I'm not an industry guy and I'm definitely not a roto guru. But I love coming here to learn and read what you guys have to say. I have made a lot of decisions in the last 10 years based on feedback from people on RJ, so I want to thank you guys for that.

That brings me to my next thing. I have decided (against a lot of inner turmoil) to accept the coaching job for my son's little league fall team. 8-10 year olds. I know baseball well, I am great with kids, I am a charismatic leader who parents like and IO have been an assistant coach several times in the last two years. I am still nervous though. None of you know me in real life (save Lord Zola) but I have slight cerebral palsy on my left side. I have been this way since birth. It definitely has been an issue for me in terms of stature, posture, etc. Mostly you cannot tell but when you DO notice, you notice.

This is my biggest hangup. I am really nervous about not being as technical as other coaches are and I am super self-conscience about my CP. I will be the center of it all and all eyes on me. Usually, I can get through under the radar. For example, I have to "Jim Abbott" how I play catch, meaning i catch and throw with my right hand. Dead giveaway. I am quite good at it but I dunno I just feel super wimpy about this and I'm kind of hoping you guys can just throw me a bone and remind me of what matters. My wife is so good with me and my son is really wanting me to do this but it's just kind of emotionally overwhelming and though it's kids, I still am afraid to face this.

I'm sure I'll be fine and I'll overcome this like I have many other challenges I have faced. Just wanted a place to spill my thoughts out and with ppl I know love baseball and have always been good in the past.

Thanks for reading. Can't believe I am going to coach these kids in a travel league!
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Dude, don't worry about that in the least. As long as the kids are having fun, it's all good.

Comment

I think you are more concern with it then anyone else will be. I coached 15 years High school BB and we knew a coach that had a sever Handicap and it didn't slow him down or effect how kids or parents treated him. As a matter of fact when he retired he probably had the biggest turn out for his party then any coached I have been Associated with. Coaching is Knowledge and Method of teaching / reacting with the kids. The Physical part is the least important.

Comment

Good for you for making what must have been a tough decision.

You mentioned him - perhaps a read of Jim Abbott's biography "An Improbable Life" would be in order. An excerpt of the review from the LA Times:

Life is full of curveballs, in baseball and out. Life is challenging enough when you seem to have all the tools. Abbott reminds us that no one really has all the tools, or all the breaks. And this bighearted memoir makes a winning argument that the only way to handle misfortune, as writer Cormac McCarthy is fond of noting, is to treat it as the peculiar and propelling gift it can be.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

My son's greatest coach was a guy in wheelchair - far and away his greatest coach.

He talked to them - taught them how to play - didn't yell - he took a team of pretty mediocre kids and my son and they ended up winning a local league - mostly because they had a sense of humor about it and had fun with it
          His team of 12 year olds played many different spots on the field and that help energize the team - they learned all aspects of the game
          For example -
          kid "coach - that isnt my spot - I play 3rd base"
          coach "you are 12 - you really have a spot? do you want to try to play 3rd base"
          kid "sure" and went and played 3rd base

this kept the dynamic of the team moving and changing and made rigid teams nuts

Comment

Just remember this is Little League. I feel it's primary purpose is to develop the kids. Your biggest headache will be parents upset that their kid isn't playing. If you can deal with that, you'll be fine. I spent 3 years coaching Little League back in the early 90s, and I'm not the most technical either. You will be fine; go out and enjoy yourself!

Comment

You will do great. The most important thing in 10 year old baseball is getting them to have fun and enjoy the game. Just volunteering for this is more than most parents ever do and it is fantastic that you are doing this.

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

For example, I have to "Jim Abbott" how I play catch, meaning i catch and throw with my right hand. Dead giveaway. I am quite good at it but I dunno I just feel super wimpy about this and I'm kind of hoping you guys can just throw me a bone and remind me of what matters.
                I would love for my son to have a coach like you who is displaying courage and caring and doing what he loves in spite of obstacles. It is a great example for the kids. Some of them will have their own challenges. They may or may not be physical. But seeing a coach who cares more about doing what he loves and sharing that love with the kids than he does about what he looks like doing it is a good thing for them to see.

Baseball is a beautiful game in a lot of ways, but one of the ways it is beautiful to me (and especially so at the youth sports level) is how it is a place where you can develop character. You work hard, you overcome obstacles, you stick with it when you get discouraged, you lift up your teammates when they are having a bad day, etc. Having a coach who is willing to fight through his own physical difficulties in order to lead the team would just be icing on the cake. It is something you can be proud of.

If you feel comfortable with it, you might even tackle it head on with the kids. E.g., "look kids, my left arm doesn't work quite right, so this is how I have to hold the glove. But I can still make the plays I need to. And you guys can make the plays, too, if you work hard at it and don't give up just because something tough comes along and you can't get it right the first few times you try it. We're gonna work together on this team and cheer each other on, and it doesn't matter if you're the most gifted or the least gifted, you can have fun on this team and not worry about it. If we work hard, by the end of the season we're all going to be a lot better at baseball, and we're going to have a lot of fun together along the way."
                Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 08-26-2015, 11:25 AM.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Because of the CP, youll probably be able to relate to things perhaps holding your boys back that may not be as obvious to others. I have no doubt that once the boys get to know you, theyll respect and admire you because of who you are.

Best of luck
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Wow, thanks a lot guys. Really needed a perspective like that. I will definitely use it to my advantage. It makes me excited to do this but also really self-conscience. But after reading these replies it helps to re-frame my train of thought. I'm going to address it right out the gate Friday night and make it a positive. Thank you all for your encouragement. I know people in my life tell me these things but sometimes it's good to hear it from more objective people.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                      Wow, thanks a lot guys. Really needed a perspective like that. I will definitely use it to my advantage. It makes me excited to do this but also really self-conscience. But after reading these replies it helps to re-frame my train of thought. I'm going to address it right out the gate Friday night and make it a positive. Thank you all for your encouragement. I know people in my life tell me these things but sometimes it's good to hear it from more objective people.
                      Please keep in mind, the CP doesnt make you any more or any less of a douche. Thats a very separate issue.
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        Please keep in mind, the CP doesnt make you any more or any less of a douche. Thats a very separate issue.
                        Hahaha true. My douche factor is independent. I have physical limitations but my friends always say I have more mental limitations. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                          Sorry I'm late to the party....but I concur with all of the thoughts here....care about the kids and the kids will care about you.

You'll do great, my friend!

Comment

Working...
                          X