Best Songs of the 80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Songs of the 80's

According to Pitchfork - http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-...f-the-1980s/1/

Thoughts from the Bar? I'm a little young to truly appreciate the decade so it's hard for me to put into context some of these artists. It's nice that they acknowledged some of the best metal acts of the decade but I would've liked to have seen a few more, personally. The list seems pretty heavy on rap/hip-hop and light on traditional rock.

Pretty cool list overall. But even coming from my background, I have to question 5 New Order songs in the top 50.

I was expected something much more obscure and hipsterish from Pitchfork.

Comment

I'll bet you didn't know that 'hipsterish' autocorrects as 'horseradish'

Comment

Eh, New Order laid the groundwork for all the hipster underground bands of the 90's and beyond so they had to get their due

The lower half of the list was littered with bands/songs I'd never heard of but it was much more predictable (in a good way) in the top 100. The Pixies had a pretty strong showing and a lot of my favorite tracks from the decade were represented ("Everybody Wants to Rule the World", "Under the Milky Way Tonight", "The Killing Moon", etc.) but I'm not much of a Prince fan so him getting the #1 song was disappointing for me.

Comment

I saw it briefly this morning but as one who lived threw the 80s as a music hipster, I will check it out in more detail

I was a big New Order fan and agree that is too much

I am curious to see how many quality one hit wonders (or a particulariiy great song band others Meh) really got included - for example Uncertain Smile by The The and not an example 867-5309

Comment

Looked some - homework was well done for soul/disco/club tunes - there are some really really solid ones that many people missed - especially the quality of Janet Jackson tunes
            but there are too many New Wave songs missing
            The The
            XTC
            The Police
            and more

Comment

Bizarre. This seems like a "best of" list made by 20-somethings who never lived through the decade.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                I'll bet you didn't know that 'hipsterish' autocorrects as 'horseradish'
                Hipsterish Horseradish would be a terrible name for a band.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Bizarre. This seems like a "best of" list made by 20-somethings who never lived through the decade.
                  It's more of a "list of songs that have stood the test of time" list rather than a popular list ... so you're probably right ... I'd be inclined to say 30 somethings though.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
                    Hipsterish Horseradish would be a terrible name for a band.
                    But Hipster Horseradish would be Ok.

Comment

Scanned the list. Bwhahaha.

A fucking joke.

New Order was and is still so mediocre.

I guess rock and roll doesn't exist in the 80's ?

Radio Free Europe is the best song of the 80's . Is it even on the list?

No Husker Du in the top 20 either. A joke.

Master of Puppets #77??? The greatest heavy/thrash/speed metal song ever!
                      Last edited by Mithrandir; 08-24-2015, 04:24 PM.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        I think it was somewhere in the 70s. Only REM song on the list I think.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Scanned the list. Bwhahaha.

A fucking joke.

New Order was and is still so mediocre.

I guess rock and roll doesn't exist in the 80's ?

No Husker Du in the top 20 either. A joke.

Master of Puppets #77??? The greatest heavy/thrash/speed metal song ever!
                          Agreed, that list was awful.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            I think it was somewhere in the 70s. Only REM song on the list I think.
                            128. Nice.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

128. Nice.
                              oh, right, sorry. I was thinking it was a top 100 and it was somewhere about 25 in.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X