Any Dart players here????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Dart players here????

My son and I will be joining a soft-tip league this fall that starts in September. I am throwing pretty regularly at home and am looking forward to this. I actually managed to throw a 180 on my board at home. It seems that soft tip is more about pounding the bullseye than going after the triple 20.

Should be interesting, cuz I have no idea whether my son can hit the board or not.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

I used to play but gave it up when I quit drinking. I never played soft-tip though, only steel-tip. I managed one 180 during my few years in a local league. Interestingly, I had three different flights on my darts.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

a drinking league with a darts problem....

I have always wondered what would happen if someone tried to hold up a bar where a darts tournament was taking place.....would they end up looking like a pincushion?
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I played for several years but had to give it up a few years ago. Just had no more time once the kids were born. Never played soft tip though.

Comment

I throw carbon tipped at the bristle board at home and will be putting soft tips on them for league nights. My understanding is that the soft tip board is a bit bigger, though you stand a little further back. My understanding of the soft tip game is that in 01 games, you essentially pound the bull. Avg scoring in the league I am in looks like 25 points per dart. So pretty much 1 bull each turn. I think I can get to the point where I am throwing 2 a turn.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Darts was really popular in the 1980's, then it died away a bit. But over the last 10 years it's become a pretty big again. They sell out arenas for the big tours, and the atmosphere is regarded as some of the best at any sporting events. Makes for a good spectacle.

This was from the World Championships a few years back ... almost back to back 9 dart finishes (17 perfect darts).

Comment

... and the greatest player of them all, Phil Taylor, with 2 9 dart finishes in 1 match, and almost 3 when he threw 16 perfect darts. Amazingly against the same opponent, James Wade!

Man boobs and slow-mo are not good bedfellows.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 08-21-2015, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Johnny - I am very familiar with Phil Taylor - MVG - James Wade - Raymond VanBarneveld - Adrian Lewis and the lot. I watched the PDC League on YouTube each week in January which is when I started getting more interested in playing. My son and I actually watched Taylor years back when he and Mardle were at the top. Taylor is an amazing player and his longevity and dominance in the game is astounding.

I am totally amazed at how often these guys throw 180 or 140 or averaging 110+ during a match.

It seems the soft tip world is more about pounding the bullseye as the whole thing is 50 pts - rather than an inner outer 25/50. Even so, I would like to think that I can get to a point this season where I am avg at least 80+ per round. Thats one bull and 2 good darts.

I actually threw a 180 in my basement a few weeks ago. Ive had a number of 140's - but only 1 180.

Comment

I haven't played regularly for the past 5 years or so. You are correct, soft tip X01 is more about the bullseye (since the entire bullseye is worth 50pts). Decent shooters are around the 25ppd range, pros are over 30ppd.

Is it a X01 league or a cricket/X01 combo league?

Good luck and enjoy the time with your son.
                  14 Team 1/2PPR league (1 Keeper)

QB: Rivers (3), Stafford (5), Keenum (NA)
                  RB: Kamara (11), McKinnon (7), Bernard (7)
                  WR: M. Thomas (NA), Crabtree (1), Shepard (8), Wallace (NA), Cobb (NA)
                  TE: Olsen (NA)
                  K: Lutz (7)
                  DEF: JAX (7)

(We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF)

Comment

Originally posted by jwlincy View Post
                    I haven't played regularly for the past 5 years or so. You are correct, soft tip X01 is more about the bullseye (since the entire bullseye is worth 50pts). Decent shooters are around the 25ppd range, pros are over 30ppd.

Is it a X01 league or a cricket/X01 combo league?

Good luck and enjoy the time with your son.
                    It is 301 and cricket combo league. 3 games of 301 "Freeze" and 3 games Cricket each night. So if I am able to avg 1 or 2 bulls per turn, I should be pretty competitive - as long as my son can get his points too. I had never heard of this freeze or block rule until recently. Sounds like your partner has to have a score that is equal or lower than the other teams total score before one can go out. It should be interesting.

I have been practicing my cricket at home also and am usually about 2 - 3 marks per turn. So I should hold up my side of the game. I struggle with 18's.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      ... and the greatest player of them all, Phil Taylor, with 2 9 dart finishes in 1 match, and almost 3 when he threw 16 perfect darts. Amazingly against the same opponent, James Wade!

Man boobs and slow-mo are not good bedfellows.
                      That was incredible!
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        It is 301 and cricket combo league. 3 games of 301 "Freeze" and 3 games Cricket each night. So if I am able to avg 1 or 2 bulls per turn, I should be pretty competitive - as long as my son can get his points too. I had never heard of this freeze or block rule until recently. Sounds like your partner has to have a score that is equal or lower than the other teams total score before one can go out. It should be interesting.

I have been practicing my cricket at home also and am usually about 2 - 3 marks per turn. So I should hold up my side of the game. I struggle with 18's.
                        You're exactly correct, if you can average between 1-2 bulls per round you should be fine. Same thing goes with cricket. It sounds like you & I would be pretty competitive, I think that I shot around 25-26PPD (75-78pts per round) in X01 and between a 2.75-3MPR in cricket.

The freeze rule can be interesting, it can work to your advantage and it can also hurt you. Most soft tip league use the freeze rule. Just be aware of it so that you don't take a number out only to realize that you were frozen (thus losing the game for your team).
                        14 Team 1/2PPR league (1 Keeper)

QB: Rivers (3), Stafford (5), Keenum (NA)
                        RB: Kamara (11), McKinnon (7), Bernard (7)
                        WR: M. Thomas (NA), Crabtree (1), Shepard (8), Wallace (NA), Cobb (NA)
                        TE: Olsen (NA)
                        K: Lutz (7)
                        DEF: JAX (7)

(We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF)

Comment

The best dart shot ever Phil Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                            Johnny - I am very familiar with Phil Taylor - MVG - James Wade - Raymond VanBarneveld - Adrian Lewis and the lot. I watched the PDC League on YouTube each week in January which is when I started getting more interested in playing. My son and I actually watched Taylor years back when he and Mardle were at the top. Taylor is an amazing player and his longevity and dominance in the game is astounding.

I am totally amazed at how often these guys throw 180 or 140 or averaging 110+ during a match.

It seems the soft tip world is more about pounding the bullseye as the whole thing is 50 pts - rather than an inner outer 25/50. Even so, I would like to think that I can get to a point this season where I am avg at least 80+ per round. Thats one bull and 2 good darts.

I actually threw a 180 in my basement a few weeks ago. Ive had a number of 140's - but only 1 180.
                            Yeah Taylor is pretty amazing for an old guy ... still beats all comers after 25 years at the top. Always amazes me how Phil Taylor throws the darts. He spins it so hard that the dart enters the board almost from underneath.

I used to play when I was a teenager ... threw back to back 180's, then 2 more 60's (8 trebles in a row), and just missed the 9th. Sadly no-one there to witness it. But I wasn't a good player. I hit patches when I couldn't miss, but could never figure out what I was doing right. Then I got a shooting nerve pain in my arm and didn't play anymore.

Comment

What I really love about the game is that there is no real way to do it "right". People hold the dart differently, throw hard, throw softer, different weights. Its about what is comfortable. What amazes me is how often they can repeatedly put 3 darts in an area the size of a quarter. Doubling out to win is also fantastic. Ive actually gotten pretty good at 20 and 16 for doubles. I find triple 19 easier than triple 20 - probably because I am about 5'6".

Comment

Working...
                              X